What the hell is LAMBDA Control #1 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2004, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
I got a code reader today and my car came up with the fault code of C9 Lambda Control #1 which I have no idea. My repair manual doesn't say anything about it and I can't find shit about it on the net.. any ideas?

Old 09-03-2004, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
If I recall thats the o2 sensor. I've since lost the pdf referring to it as lamda though.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
hmmm brand new o2 sensor... still could be this?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
Possibly a loose connection upon reinstallatiuon?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
okay the O2 sensor was was probably never reset that's why.. after I reset the inspection, it went away. and no loose connection... it's in tight.

Here's my issue though.. my car is still idling like shit... I have replaced the following: o2 sensor, spark plugs, idle control valve, cleaned the throttle body, replaced air filter, replaced battery, some vacuum lines and some other things... my idle will go from like 200rpms to 750 and keep dropping and then go back up... I'm thinking next I'll replace the fuel pump and fuel filter... anything else fuel related that could be causing this? also when I'm idling, my check engine light comes on and then will go away if I hit the gas at all and then come back on. another problem I'm having is my car will suddenly die out of the blue when I have to stop hard with the brakes on and clutch in. it's really random but seems to happen more often when on any soft of an incline or decline..

this is really bothering me so I'm not sure anymore
Old 09-03-2004, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
Could be a fuel pressure issue. Probably a clog in the filter. Replacing it should help.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Photos:
yeah I'm going to do that this weekend... hey I got my windows tinted today at 20%.. looks like the bomb.. will post pics sometime tomorrow... any other ideas as to what it could be? car has 150k on it now
Old 09-03-2004, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
rmxpete is an unknown quantity at this point
deffinatly sounds fuel related(fuel starvation) more than anything! I would agree change the fuel filter first and see where that takes you, sounds like you have done most other things which I would of thought could of been the problem!, I notice that you have got a manual transmission convert,,, does this need a computer tune?? I really don't know? but if it does and you haven't could be that!
trial and elimination...
rmxpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by jrhaile@Sep 2 2004, 09:02 PM
Here's my issue though.. my car is still idling like shit... I have replaced the following:* o2 sensor, spark plugs, idle control valve, cleaned the throttle body, replaced air filter, replaced battery, some vacuum lines and some other things... my idle will go from like 200rpms to 750 and keep dropping and then go back up... I'm thinking next I'll replace the fuel pump and fuel filter... anything else fuel related that could be causing this?* also when I'm idling, my check engine light comes on and then will go away if I hit the gas at all and then come back on.* another problem I'm having is my car will suddenly die out of the blue when I have to stop hard with the brakes on and clutch in.* it's really random but seems to happen more often when on any soft of an incline or decline..
you have a vacuum or intake leak.

you mentioned that you replaced some vacuum lines. that is a good start. but your bad idle suggests that the leak still exists somewhere. sometimes you can narrow down the location by spraying some carb cleaner near vacuum hoses & fittings, one at a time while the car is idling. if all of a sudden the idle surges when you spray near a specific fitting or hose, you've found your leak. but don't spray directly onto fittings because the volatile solvents in the aerosol can sometimes make the plastic brittle.

there are a number of hoses (and their respective fittings) under the MAF, throttle body, and manifold you can check. you could also check the crankcase breather connection, these occasionally get corroded and grumpy with age.

in the past, a couple of people have told me that "lambda control fault" means bad O2 sensor. while they are related, note that O2 sensor has its own unique fault. lambda control fault specifically relates to a condition where there is air entering the mixture, DOWNSTREAM of the MAF (which therefore can't be metered and compensated for by the ecu); i.e., there is an intake leak.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)