What does the Idle Pulley Tensioner look like (see pics)? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
What does the Idle Pulley Tensioner look like (see pics)?

Does anyone know what the pulley itself looks like? I have the extra rattling sound when I turn my AC on and was told the sound is caused by a loose and aged Idle Pulley Tensioner that needs to be changed...

So I've done a google/ebay search and i get a few different images...
I hear you could replace the idle pulley tesioner yourself....it's as simple as replacing the belts...

here are two separate images I get for the search: which one is it...?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 04:28 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
they are both tension pullies, but if your gonna put one in , than put the bottom one in i think the top one is for a different model

#3 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 04:53 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
so the bottom is for a 318i?
I'm buying it used from a 1998 328i...
it says "waterpump tension pulley."

#4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:00 PM
n00b

Sk1d is an unknown quantity at this point
The 'Pulley' they're referring to is the black plastic wheel. The rest of the metal bits are just the mount n spring tensioner.

The noise you can hear is the bearing inside the pulley either worn out or collapsed.

If you've changed the belt before then u should have no problem changing the tensioner. There's 2, maybe 3 bolts hold it to the block...

Give it a go. Good luck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G600066915OEA.jpg
Views:	1431
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	22160  

Me-Chanic
#5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Make sure it's the idler pulley though, because whether or not your AC is on, the idler puller is always turning as long as the engine is running, so if we think about it the idler pulley should make a rattling noise whether the AC is on or not. Someone might say because of the load the AC puts on the belt when it is turned on the pulley will make more noise, but AC on or not the tension of the belt on that pulley is basically going to be the same.

The noise can be coming from the compressor as well. Just food for thought.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 08:29 PM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
thanks...that was real insightful...I'll check the AC compressor system as well.

#7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

BMWjesterFAN is an unknown quantity at this point
The top tensioner you posted, which looks like a shock absorber, is the idle pulley tensioner, and the bottom is the water pump belt tensioner. If you are having a problem with the water pump pulley making noises, you may need the second one, but if it is the other belts and pulleys, you would need the idle tensioner. It is an easy fix, but be patient and you may want to have someone to help deflect the belt tensioner, while you remove the belt and then replace the part.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

BMWjesterFAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, and I have the parts manual on CD, so if you give me your model and year, I should be able to tell you exactly what part # you need, if you know whether the water pump belt, or something else is causing the problem
#9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Wait !

DelMarco don't buy used parts off a 328i (M52 6 cylinder) for your 318i (M44 4 Cylinder). Most of the time they're different parts. On your 318i you actually have both those type tensioners you pictured, but which is worn out is the question. How old is your belt? Do you see it jumping near one tensioner but not the other? The A/C tensioner is p/n 11 28 2 245 087 and looks like this:

The water pump / alternator tensioner is p/n 11 28 1 748 131 and looks like this:

The 328's alternator / waterpump tensioner looks like this:

Which is what you showed in the bottom pic.

Call the folks over at Bav Auto and talk to them. They stock all new original parts anyway.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by Hamfisted; 10-01-2005 at 10:00 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 09:00 AM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
thanks...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)