What do these buttons do? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
E36GRIP is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
What do these buttons do?

sorry for the dumb question guys but what does the button in between the 2 driver side window switches do and what is the button just to the left of the ignition for? thanks and sorry again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
The button between the switches controls whether or not the rear windows can be opened using the switches on the rear door panels ... it's to keep your kids or passengers from opening or closing them.

The button to the left of the ignition? Do you have a picture by any chance; I'm having a hard time figuring out which one you're talking about.

#3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks, im sorry i meant to the right of the ignition if your looking at it...... its more on the dash i guess.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
You will hate me for it, but I still can't figure it out.

Here's a pic of a e36 dash; circle in in paint and email it to me at straightsix@gmail.com and I'll tell you. Sorry again; must be the lack of sleep on my part ... I'm slipping. hah

http://www.44andmoreparts.com/images...28/DASH_LR.jpg

#5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yeah. I still don't know what he's talking about on that button the right of the ignition

#6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:26 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)

that's the little guy I'm talking about
#7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Oh how weird! I'm not going out to my car to check for sure, but I don't think I have one of those. Now I have to know! *fires up google* I'm surprised it's not in your owners manual. It looks like the picture has worn off... but it sort of looks like a speedometer.

Last edited by BeachBunny; 08-16-2009 at 03:44 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Kai
I haven't seen an E36 with that button, but it does seem like a speedo possibly but I don't know what it could be. Cruise control activation is sometimes in that area, that could be it but you have the cruise on the lever like my E34 did. I know on the E39 it has the button there and then the controls on the wheel so it might be that...but probably not. It should be in the manual I would think...but who knows. Have you tried pushing it yet?

Edit: Could it be headlight washer button? I am stumped.

Last edited by Kai; 08-16-2009 at 04:04 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:10 PM
n00b

Bimmeroyale is on a distinguished road
Like Kasei mentioned, it does look similar to the cruise control button. I looked at mine and that's what it could be except on my 528i, it's on the steering wheel.

You can download the manual here:

User manual BMW 318I - User guide BMW 318I - English - Diplodocs

Life is a highway. I wanna ride it all night long.

Last edited by Bimmeroyale; 08-16-2009 at 04:14 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of Kai has much to be proud of
Garage
^Really? The controls are on my steering wheel for the CC but the activation button is right below the wood trim to the right of the steering wheel. Hmm.

#11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yeah i just bought the car from the 2nd owner so the manual is long gone, thanks Bimmeroyale for the link I'm going to download it right away. so i was finally able to make out the image and its a window with arrows up and down, its my window lock!....... so wtf is the switch in between my window switches!
#12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
My cruise control is on the little lever used for the window wipers. It's not a button, though, you just flick it. My first thought was cruise control but I just assumed it was the same sort of deal as with my car.
#13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:19 PM
n00b

Bimmeroyale is on a distinguished road
Yeah that's weird. At least you know what it is now AND you have a manual

Life is a highway. I wanna ride it all night long.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Kai
4th Gear Member

Garage
Well. The other button is the window lock on E34s, the one with the widow buttons. That is interesting. And Bimmerroyale, the manual you gave is for electric issues, it isn't the owners manual with info that would be helpful to him.

#15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Millions of them.

Did you try pushing it to see what it does?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)