What To Buy Need Advise Quickly - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
snsgraphics is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
What To Buy Need Advise Quickly

I had posted earlier, but a change of events have occurred.. So I need your advise.
1st- I have never owned a BMW, I have only heard they are expensive to maintain, yet they last forever..

So here is my dilemma----- I have come across a 2002 325 iC (coupe) loaded, the dealer told me it was originally a spacial order because of how the interior is (dark tan and black leathers) and NO sun roof... Most of what I have seen, is a lighter tan, without any black?? 103,000 miles

price is a firm, non-negotiating price of 9,995

OR

a 1994 325 Ci (convertible) 140000 miles, new top, clean as a new car. private seller for 5,500...

I was able to test drive the 2002, very peppy and fun, will the 94 be as peppy?

what seem like the better deal? I have no idea the real differences in the the to other than the cosmetic of course. Is there HP, safety or mechanical differences. I really need to let them know TUESDAY MORNING... so please help...

Also, I was told by the dealer that BMW only requires oil changes every 14000 miles???? I am use to 3000-5000 mile changes with the ford and GM's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:11 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I think 14,000 mile oil change interval is a bit high

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yeah me too, regardless of the make. What does BMW recommend? More important which is the best buy??? do you think. thanks
#4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
come on guys... why no help here??? I know you guys know your stuff, whats up???
#5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
The 1994 will be peppier. You should test drive it.

With either car, be ready to put $2k-$3k into maintenance shortly after you get it. This is a must with used cars.

Regarding the oil change intervals, I don't listen to the dealer nor BMW. I use Mobil1 full synthetic and change the oil every 6 months or 6000 miles. Many say that there are better oils out there, and that may be true. However, Mobil1 works great. If you run on regular oil, stick to 3 months or 3000 miles.

#6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
The 1994 will be peppier. You should test drive it.

With either car, be ready to put $2k-$3k into maintenance shortly after you get it. This is a must with used cars.

Regarding the oil change intervals, I don't listen to the dealer nor BMW. I use Mobil1 full synthetic and change the oil every 6 months or 6000 miles. Many say that there are better oils out there, and that may be true. However, Mobil1 works great. If you run on regular oil, stick to 3 months or 3000 miles.

Thanks, what would the 2-3K include? The dealer car told me they just performed a "major" 100,000 mile service. what would need to be done for that kind of $$? sorry, but like I said this is going to be my first BMW, or maybe not....

Also why would the 94 be faster and peppier, than an 02?

what do you think the better bargain is?

thank steve
#7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 08:54 AM
n00b

avamaemusic is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up i own an 04 bmw 325i

okay here's my opinion. i wouldnt get either bmw's. not because of the years, but because of the mileage. they are awesome cars. german made, but awesome. they are strong, and durable. i do an every 12-14000 mile oil change and thats what's required for these cars. when you put the key in the ignition, it tells you in how many more miles you'll be due for an oilchange. I have had mine since 06 and have had no problems. only changed the oil and replaced a blown bulb. i have another car so im selling this one. its an 04 and has 49500 miles and is alpine white, black interior. never had passengers in it.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Pfft.

My car has 217,500 miles on it and shows no signs that it wants to quit. I may replace it, but only because I am getting another BMW.

The 1994 will feel peppier because its engine has a rated output of 192 hp and 181 lbft of torque, whereas the 2002's engine puts out 184 hp and with 175 ftlbf of torque. Both cars weigh virtually the same.

#9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Neutral Member

hghrpm is on a distinguished road
I would look at the condition of the cars and try to decide whether or not you like the convertible or the coupe better.

'08 328i coupe MT titanium silver, performance package, satellite radio, black interior, titanium trim
'01 Honda S2000 Spa Yellow
#10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 AM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
u should drive both cars and feel for yourself which one is "right" for you... and "RIGHT" means many things. personal feel for each of the cars, driving style, personal taste for the color and options.... and of course, affordability(New Car Prices and Used Car Blue Book Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site). Initially, you can expect a noisier ride with the Ci because the body isnt as rigid as that of a coupe; maintaining a soft top is an extra chore of course... etc...

then consider also economics of resale(an earlier model, mileage and other factors, of course will always command a lesser value over time).

Both are reliable machines but we can't give you the answers you seek here. our gut will tell you which one is best for you ;-) Good Luck
#11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse737 View Post
u should drive both cars and feel for yourself which one is "right" for you... and "RIGHT" means many things. personal feel for each of the cars, driving style, personal taste for the color and options.... and of course, afford-ability(New Car Prices and Used Car Blue Book Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site). Initially, you can expect a noisier ride with the Ci because the body isnt as rigid as that of a coupe; maintaining a soft top is an extra chore of course... etc...

then consider also economics of resale(an earlier model, mileage and other factors, of course will always command a lesser value over time).

Both are reliable machines but we can't give you the answers you seek here. our gut will tell you which one is best for you ;-) Good Luck

You summed it up... I will have to decide myself, I am just getting rushed. I like the safety features of the 02 coupe, BUT I am in that MID-LIFE crises mode and like the convertible... I have to kids also, so the 02 is a plus... decisions decisions.... one concern I have is the 02 coupe, has totally different seating surface that the others I have seen???? b=not as "puffy" looking, and the color is a darker tan and opposed to the lighter???

thanks
#12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:33 AM
5th Gear Member

darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
hmmm... go look at a couple more cars. that will take away the essence of "rush".

Dealers do have a way of rushing you to put your John Hancock on a sales contract before you slip away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)