BMW Werkz banner

what are the BEST performance mods for a obd1 318

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
i have 4k to spend on a car, so i found a nice e36 318i w/a rough idle that im seriously considering.....
i test drove the car and it was fast enough for a stock m42, but i thought the handling was real nice, anyway, iwas wondering what mods would be worth getting to make the car go faster, i dont think that i'll ever be under 7 seconds, but what could i do to make it real fast other than FI, which i am also consdiring.
heres what i was thinking of:
a JC chip, flywheel, CAI(although ive heard that they dont do anything on m42s), headers and exhaust system, big bore throttle body(although ive heard those also dont work well) i was thinking of getting reground cams but i dont kow abouthat cause if i go turbo then ill just need to switch the old cams back(if its possible) and i was also looking at a multi-throttle intake system , i think the s14 e30 m3 used multi-throttle..... it costs like 2k and i wanted to know if it would make 2k worth of difference , and lastly, what about a mass air conversion kit?
thanks!

#2 ·
multi throttle on a 4 wont realy help. Aside from that, your list looks good. I would also go for some new pullies and possibly a port job. That will give some decent gains. And i assume all this is for a manual. Dont waste your time on an auto.

#3 ·
if you haven't bought the car yet look at some e30's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.