What batteries do you guys recommend? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
camnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to camnipotent Send a message via MSN to camnipotent
(Thread Starter)
Arrow What batteries do you guys recommend?

I need to replace my battery because my car isn't starting like it should. I left the lights on and killed it, and every jump start is wearing it down. What type of battery do you guys recommend for a 1998 323is? I called my dealer and they want $203.50 for the thing, installed. Not going to happen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>1998 BMW 323is Coupe, Black
Manual
18&quot; M3 Hyper Silver Rims
2 12&quot; Rockford Fosgate Subs; Sealed
1.0 Farad Capacitor
800 Watt 2-Way Rockford Fosgate Amplifier</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Go to autozone. They have decent batteries, I think mine cost $30-$40 after the core exchange. I changed it almost 2 years ago and the battery is still good.

If you know some one that carries interstate and has the correct type/model for your car then I would go with them if you are worried about getting a great battery.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:42 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Be glad it isn't a 7-series: the electronics get REAL touchy. I've heard some horror stories about not getting an OEM replacement for your battery, but as it's an e36, it shouldn't be too bad a problem. I second the trip to autozone. Can't think of a name off-hand though...

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Interstate are great batteries. Don't bother getting OEM.

Autozone+=1

#5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
Bosch at PepBoys...

I got the Bosch International (48?) at PepBoys a few months ago for about $89. I think they're actually made by Johnson but I'm not positive. It works very well anyway. Make sure you get the correct series that will match your retainer in the trunk. I think its the 48 series but double check. Also use the corrosion guard rings under the terminals and run the vent tube out the bottom of the wheelwell through the hole that's already there, especially if you have electronics in the trunk, you don't want battery fumes on them. Good luck.

Mike
#6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
well obviously, your not going to go to the dealer for a simple battery... i personally love my red-top optima... but i also have a upgraded stereo, and a tv.. i paid 150 for mine.. which is a little exspensive, but well worth it..

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:23 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
Interstate are great batteries. Don't bother getting OEM.

Autozone+=1

i agree with everytihng said in this thread so far, i however use interstate myself. but am looking to get a optima redtop or yellow top soon

#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Listen to Cruzin, the Yellow Optima is great for added electronics and the such. and the Red top is for your normal OEM radio and electonics without major upgrades. Both if properly treated will outlast your car.

even at the cost of the red $99 and Yellow $150, you will not be let down.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 AM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=camnipotent]I need to replace my battery because my car isn't starting like it should. I left the lights on and killed it, and every jump start is wearing it down. What type of battery do you guys recommend for a 1998 323is? I called my dealer and they want $203.50 for the thing, installed. Not going to happen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE

Is there an O'reilly autoparts near you? I bought a battery from them that fit my car, with vent and all. About $70.00. It was a little shorter, but my car had two locations for the hold-down. It worked well in the second one. I believe it had a 72 month warranty.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Neutral Member

green325is is an unknown quantity at this point
My BMW dealer told me they sell the OEM battery but "it's junk." They also sold the Interstate MTP-91. I got one for like $70. Fits properly and has the vent port as well. I wanted an Optima battery but wasn't sure if it would fit perfectly or not.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:11 AM
n00b

chico_kj_23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin 323is
well obviously, your not going to go to the dealer for a simple battery... i personally love my red-top optima... but i also have a upgraded stereo, and a tv.. i paid 150 for mine.. which is a little exspensive, but well worth it..
+1...optima rules!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
The manifold connects to the head, the head to the block. Using the word "manifold" to describe the block would be like calling a girl's face her vagina. Sure you could try to fuck it but she'll probably get mad and bite your dick off.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member

BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
+2 Optima Rules and it fit right in my Ghetto 318i
#13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Yup. I have an optima as well. Funny thing is, a while back my battery died, and I had an optima that I pulled out of my last car sittin in the garage.of course it was dead (it had been sitting there for over a year....charged it up, and it's worked fine ever since. That was a year ago. They kick butt...well worth the money.

#14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
+Optima aswell

How about those lightweight batteries? They dotn go for that much and save a pretty decent amount of weight.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
n00b

speedcrazy1532 is on a distinguished road
Did you guys ever hear of odessy batteries, thier supposably really light and put out more cold crank amps then other batteries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)