What Is This? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
i think its an LED, but what is it for? (yes i know i'm not going 160mph, this was a pic taken during a test mode, i just took it to see if the LED would light up during the test,but it didn't, what is it for?
Attached Thumbnails
What Is This?-dsc01069.jpg  
kyle_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
We've had this discussion before but none of us could come to a solid conclusion.
We guesed it had something to do with dimming the interior according to the cabin's current lighting? IE: it's a photosensor?

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
This came up about 8-9 months ago. Photosensor was the best guess.
Live_the_Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
lol, seriously? i'm gonna test thisout then and i'll prove it true or false.

it would be neat if it were an LED cause i would wire it up as a tach light (i know its not on the tach but its in the center of the gauges, even better, it would work well there). If i do then i'll be sure and make a DIY, but i'm guessing i'd have to buy a cheap tach-light and gut it out for the clean stock look.

but seriously.........no one knows for sure what this thing is for?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i've tried to test this "photo sensor" but i can't tell if that is what it really is. anyone know of any other possibilites or any place we can find out?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I really doubt our E36 cars are so advanced...beside why would there be an auto sensor for dimming the dash when there is a dimmer scroll switch next to the steering column.

I think it blinks when you hit 160 mphs to inform you that you need to take your foot off the pedal because the car will go no faster...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Actually... yes it is a photosensor... adjusts the sourounding lights towards the cabin's amount of light...

I asked a tech friend of mine who pulled up the parts break down from the maker of the panel.

Photosensor it is...

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 97alpineM3@Jun 5 2005, 08:46 AM
Actually... yes it is a photosensor... adjusts the sourounding lights towards the cabin's amount of light...

I asked a tech friend of mine who pulled up the parts break down from the maker of the panel.

Photosensor it is...

Les
[snapback]350896[/snapback]
hold on! used
What exactly is it adjusting the orange dash lights or the cabin's overhead light, or both. I just don't see why BMW would include a dimmer switch if they had this in there as well.

Wow....I have another thing t o brag about in my car to the ladies....
Old 06-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
yes, what lights exactly does this photosensor control?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: London Tube
Photos:
zeaq has a spectacular aura aboutzeaq has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to zeaq Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
I don't understand.What's the photosencor does?
and Klye baker, where do u get that pics?I mean the spedo pics that going 160Mph.Can you give me the link.

My BMW 328i- AC Schnitzer Spoiler, Blaupunkt Stereo,Angel eyes(CCFL), M technik Lower Lip.

928 GTS- Stock
Z
zeaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
lol, the pic i gave was a test mode pics, simply hold down your trip reset button on the gauages and turn the key to position 1 or 2 and let go of the trip reset button, your gauges will light up and all will test to see that they are working right, its simple.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by kyle_baker@Jun 5 2005, 12:21 PM
lol, the pic i gave was a test mode pics, simply hold down your trip reset button on the gauages and turn the key to position 1 or 2 and let go of the trip reset button, your gauges will light up and all will test to see that they are working right, its simple.
[snapback]350941[/snapback]
wow... used

well I just learned two things about my car today.... :P
Old 06-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
frank3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Seriously...I remember reading womewhere that this thing lights up if you've f..cked with your odometer. It's some sort of warning light that the actual mileage is not what's showing.
No squeaks or rattles... unreal!
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco@Jun 5 2005, 01:23 PM
wow... used

well I just learned two things about my car today.... :P
[snapback]350955[/snapback]
don't you just love it when you find out things about your car that you never knew where there and its like why didn't i notice that? its great, bimmers always surprise me with all of the little things liek these built into them.

so........is it a photosensor or a speedometer gauge malfunction light?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
quality

Photos:
Garage
I'm still lost.....but i will check my E36 manual when i get home!

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)