Wet Feet - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 10:08 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dplane is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a '94 325 convertible that, whenever it rains, leaks water into the driver side foot well. Using a garden hose I was able to isolate the general source of the leak to be (what I believe is) the climate control air intake. Any idea how to fix?

A couplde of thoughts I had are:

How is water supposed to drain from this grill? Assuming it is a clogged drain, how do I clear it?

Is there a seal that could be bad between the grill and the passenger compartment? How can I tell? How do I get to it?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely inexperienced at working on cars so you can't insult my intelligence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 02:10 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I had a similar problem when I 1st got my car last June. I didn't have leakage into the car but my weather stripping or cowl trim under the windshield area and around the interior of the hood was severly worn out. The BMW dealer in NYC replaced and resealed the area for around $120.

The general theory behind this is when you take your car to the carwash or if you use harsh chemicals when washing it slowly eats away at the rubber and vinyl 'till it starts to dry and crack. Also persistant exposure to acidic rain and road salt can create similar situations

Apart from this you could also have other things wrong thats causing your leaks. I'm also not too sure about the convertable versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	678367_9.gif
Views:	28
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	12428  

#3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Neutral Member

RJ'sE36ITS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RJ'sE36ITS
ok there is drain in the meadlel of the fiewall and it' s made out of rubber it's more than likely to get cloth or just to fall down. you need to clean up the hole thing.

take the caps of the winshiel wipers and with a soket 13mm unbolt the wipers then remove 6 plastis holders of the main plastic bents there are 3 on each side, then unscrew the 2 philips that hold your wire harness black box, By now you'll be ablel to see all kind of shi...... stuck on the sides of the climate control fan you can clean it from there wit a wet/dry vacumm or get a longflat screw driver and stick it inn there and removed as much as you can if you feel you need to go alittle deeper remove the metal holder of the wire harness it has the chape of an " L" it's hols by 3 little screw 2 on the pasanger side next to the ac lines and 1 on the driver side by the brake buster this pice is hard to get in and out but no big deal just rock it around and it will come out, don't try to pressure wash it the drain my fall of it's place and it's between the engine head and the firewall really hard to play with it.

Good luck :thumbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)