Weird Vibration and light when braking - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peter23 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Weird Vibration and light when braking

Hey i JUST got back from the used car dealer and got my 94 325I but.. ive noticed a few problems already.. one being when i hit the brakes, sometimes it will start to studder as it slows down almost like im sliding, but im not. ALSO when it starts to rumble or studder, my battery light comes on and it makes a light squealing noise. also i should add that my ABS light is on and i bought the car with it lit up.. soo could that be a part of it?
thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
This could be the result of a few problems. The ABS light may be on from worn censors or the ABS pump itself has failed. When it comes to the stutter problem and squealing I'm not terribly sure what is going on unless I was there in the car with you. The battery light coming on is also strange as well. Regardless, I would go to a shop and get everything checked out.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 02:11 AM
Neutral Member

garbone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to garbone
the battery light is a new one to me.

The studdering stops usually result from one of two things. warped rotor or abs malfuction. if i were you ide double check the rotors first then start trouble shooting the ABS such as the dealership or attain a reasonable speed on a slick surface such as dirt or wet parking lot and try to push the brake peddle through the floor with emphasis on trying to break the pedal. . if you feel the pedal shaking your ABS is functional. If your wheels lock up and you go into a slide your ABS is not functioning. Also listen for the ABS pump buzz in (turn on).

I know in the M3s the ABS system is designed to disable if it detects a faults in the circuit. may be something as simple as a sensor. dealerships can read any error codes in the ABS circuit.

the last time my ABS went on the fritz i went and bought a used ABS pump to swap with my faulty one after using the testing procedure above and not hearing my ABS pump. i was very lucky since that was throwing a dart in complete darkness. havent had issues ever since.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

vincentmb615 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to vincentmb615
yeah but those brake sensors suck who agrees? mine came on after 200 miles all of new pads i just cut the end off and connect the wires together i tryed the whole door open turning key method no luck so i cut the end and twisted the wires capped of its been 1200 miles and i havent had any problems knock on wood all brake pads have a squeal plate to sweek when there low kind of irrelavent but i just though i would throw it in

[94 325i two toned
#5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 PM
n00b

Peter23 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
i think the battery light may be coming on because the engine isnt producing enough electricity cause it goes off when i accelerate and doesnt really happen much when my radio and heat are off.. soo alternator? or new battery?
#6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Neutral Member

open door turning key???

Isnt that some alarm dongle reset method? never heard anything about using steps involving that to do anything with brakes.

I like the brake pad sensors. i replace them with my pads every time and i use a brillo pad to deglaze my rotors while inspecting them. i havent had a problem ever. but they arent ghetto rigged so i know ,theoretically they would work should they need to.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

thats not ghetto those sensors are stupid just like the coolant level sensors if your that lazy And cant check then you shouldnt be driving

[94 325i two toned
#8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:40 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
What a mess this thread is.

Peter23, what you describe sounds like an ABS malfunction. It seems to me like your ABS is engaging when it doesn't need to. The battery light is probably just incidental. However, it may mean that there is a short somewhere in your ABS circuit. If this is the case, then your electrical system will be overtaxed when your ABS engages, and that is why you see the battery light flashing.

vincentmb615, I don't see why you brought up the brake pad sensors. They have nothing to do with the problem. You are correct in that they are not necessary, and that simply floating the wire guarantees that you will never get a brake pad wear indicator light.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Neutral Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Peter23, what you describe sounds like an ABS malfunction. It seems to me like your ABS is engaging when it doesn't need to. The battery light is probably just incidental. However, it may mean that there is a short somewhere in your ABS circuit.
x2

I forgot to add that about getting into ABS when you shouldnt be.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
1st Gear Member

because my rotora big brake kit that was 1200 bucks did the same thing it is too heavy fucked my whole abs up i cut the sensors and its been fine im not sure if he has one i was just saying it could happen and a batt light usually means the alternator isnt charging the battery he should check if its a lemon dont buy a car with problems unless you know what your doing

[94 325i two toned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)