BMW Werkz banner

weird things happen when battery not fully secured...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Delmarco 
#1 ·
Bear with me here...

Over the last week or so it happened maybe two times. I'd get into my car, turn the key, and the radio would come on but every station would be reset! I had no idea why it was doing it!

Yesterday i got into my car, after not driving it for 1.5 days and it wouldnt start! no turnover, nothing! all the dials were very faint, the radio was once again reset and the central locking barelly worked!

I checked that I didnt leave anything on, and i didnt! my next guess was that the dude who installed my alarm (2 weeks ago) stuffed something up! I checked that my battery had water in it but couldnt really do much else because it was night time! I had to lock all the doors manually lol from the inside then the driver door with the key! oh and the boot!

the car did start with jumper leads and by jump starting it! but this did not seem to charge the batter at all as it would not start when i tured it off once again!

Whenever I would turn the key all I would hear is pretty loud clicking, seemed to be coming from under the middle of my car and inside the dashboard there was a loud scraping noise!? and when driving the car, by jump starting it, the engine made a whistling noise, the pitch increasing as revs increased!

Today I checked the battery again and the positive lead was not fully secured to the battery so i tightened it and the car started straight away! indicating that the battery wasnt empty!

Im guessing the guy disconnected the battery when installing the alarm and didnt connect it up properly! but why would he disconnect the positive lead?

my question is: what was the whistling noise? something trying to acess the battery but not being able to??? what was the clicking???

thnx to whoever read this!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah that sound like what happened to me last March. I unplugged my battery to install HID lights, and forgot to screw the bolt in. and Evrytime I hit a pothole...my negative cable clamp would come loose or shake up and down over the battery terminal.
It was fixed when I tightened it down. Anyway now I think my battery may be dying...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.