Weird Switch On Right Side Of Steering Wheel - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
funtoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to funtoos
(Thread Starter)
hey all,
i have this switch on the right side of my steering wheel.. its got this sort of lightning mark on it (not too sure how to explain it... hehehe)... but its towards the right... never used it cuz i don;t know what it is...
any ideas what i am talkin bout? and what its used for?
i can try and get a pic tonight also...

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:55 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by funtoos@Jan 14 2005, 08:14 AM
hey all,
i have this switch on the right side of my steering wheel.. its got this sort of lightning mark on it (not too sure how to explain it... hehehe)... but its towards the right... never used it cuz i don;t know what it is...
any ideas what i am talkin bout? and what its used for?
i can try and get a pic tonight also...
[snapback]271322[/snapback]
it's the BMW electricution switch for those annoying dates you may have time to time who wont stop yapping in your passenger seat. Press it gently and it will shock the shit outta them thereby making them unconcious and leaving your cabin silent. Only certain sports models came with this switch due to anticpation by BMW that it's drivers would eventually end up dating beautiful, high maintenance super model types that don't know how to shut up whiles you're manuvering thru traffic....good device I use mine ALL the time.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:57 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Nah...kidding....

you're looking at your foglight switch...if it's next to the dail that turns on your headlights...sometimes the switch is there even if you don't have foglights and it's just a dummy switch that does nothing. I had this on my E36 before I got fogs installed.

BTW get fogs installed...

#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 09:02 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
i have fogs installed.... and i know what that switch is... the fog switch is on the left side of the steering wheel... this switch i m talkin about is on the right side of the steering wheel... between the steering wheel and the center console.. just a little above where where your right knee would hit the lower dash part...
i like the electricution idea... maybe i should wire my seats that way.. hehe

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3
#5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:29 AM
Roo
n00b

Roo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Roo
I also have the same switch I think your talking about on mine. When I press it it stops my electric windows from working, which would be good to stop the kids playin with the windows in the back but I only have electric windows in the front and no kids so useless to me
#6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:32 AM
quality

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Roo@Jan 14 2005, 11:29 AM
I also have the same switch I think your talking about on mine. When I press it it stops my electric windows from working, which would be good to stop the kids playin with the windows in the back but I only have electric windows in the front and no kids so useless to me
[snapback]271474[/snapback]

are you guys talking about E36 cars here ? or older model cars?

#7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:38 AM
4th Gear Member

93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
That switch is an emergency circuit breaker for the windows..i have pressed mine and it's like hitting the window lock button.

Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
#8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Roo
n00b

I was talking bout my e36 y do you ask?
#9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
yes, we are talkin about e36 cars...
but isn't the window lock key between the front window switch and read window switch next to the gears??

if so, why give an extra switch?

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3
#10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Roo
n00b

I dont have the lock there but mine is a uk spec so dont know if their different
#11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:48 AM
quality

Garage

Okay I assume the inside of your e36 looks like mine. So you say your wierd switch is where I would put key in the ignition by the cruise control stalk but it's in that blank area on the the dash. Also is it a push button switch? a flip swith? a scrolling wheel switch?

cuz' my window lock switch is in front of my armrest where the actual window control switches are. You can it see in the picture by my auto stick on the driver's side of the console.

BTW do you have a convertable or IS model?

#12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Roo
n00b

with mine being a right hand drive my switch is as arrowed on pic. but i think as 93 325i said the switch is a circuit breaker for the windows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch_here.JPG
Views:	1761
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	16341  
#13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:16 PM
quality

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Roo@Jan 14 2005, 11:57 AM
with mine being a right hand drive my switch is as arrowed on pic. but i think as 93 325i said the switch is a circuit breaker for the windows
[snapback]271499[/snapback]
whoa...its my car in England!!!!

dude, those switches are for the fog lights and dimmer for the dash guages. Also in that area they are empty square panels as if buttons should go there. Alot of aftermarket installation and mods usually have switches or alarm leds placed there. When I got my aftermarket keyless entry car alarm installed the installed used one of those blank panel to install the blinking led for the alarm. Also I may get a switch placed there when I get my foot well lights installed. So my guess is that the previous owner had some aftermarket gadget installed that is no longer functional or currently absent in the vehicle...unless it does in fact control the rear window locks.

#14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Roo
n00b

sorry my arrows not very good......... There is a blue dot just above the wiper stalk the switch in question is about there (or atleast the switch I think FUNTOOS is on about). I dont think its anything to do with the fog or lighting switchs. and in a minute i'm gonna go out an pop the switch out to get the part number off it jus to see what BM say it is lol
#15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:42 PM
quality

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Roo@Jan 14 2005, 12:29 PM
sorry my arrows not very good......... There is a blue dot just above the wiper stalk the switch in question is about there (or atleast the switch I think FUNTOOS is on about). I dont think its anything to do with the fog or lighting switchs. and in a minute i'm gonna go out an pop the switch out to get the part number off it jus to see what BM say it is lol
[snapback]271527[/snapback]
WTF...The switch pops out as well used ?! I give up ghead ...I have no idea what that could be used...that sounds like a one in a million E36 you got there....I would hold on to her

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)