Weird Electrical Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Weird Electrical Problem

Yesterday I get in my car, turn it on and everything is reset, the radio is saying code, the OBC is stuck on Celcius and the clock says nothing but some dashes. So I set the clock, can't remember the radio code and drive to where I am going. I get back in the car, turn it on and everything is reset once again. WTF? So I start thinking about it, check the battery connections (even though the car could not start if the connections where that bad). So now I am thinking perhaps a fuse it blown? I called my friend/mechanic, he said he thinks it can only be a fuse (or something weird and worse), but at that time couldn't pull up a diagram for me to let me knwo which one(s) to check. Any one know which one(s) to check that could cause this? Or anyone have a better idea of where to start looking?

Last edited by thekid; 10-29-2005 at 01:58 PM.
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 01:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Michael Cornish is on a distinguished road
Had a similar problem with my e36
Was a fuse with a dry joint. Easiest way is to look in the fuse box under the bonnet (hood) and look at the legend.
One fuse will probably be common to all of your features not working. replace that fuse with a new one.
Hope this helps
regards
Michael
Michael Cornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
Radio: fuse 9 & 44 = 20amp
OBC: fuse 23 = 5AMP F45 = 7.5amp
bad man working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the replies, but today it has gotten worse. Today when I turned the key, the gauges moved (like they normally do), then nothing happened. Then the car acted as though the battery was disconnected. So i went to the back, checked the connections, both were connected firmly. I pushed down on one of the connections and the car did the "key in ignition door open beep" once. Then no more, even though my key was in the ignition and the door was open. Then I got back in the car and started it. It started the first time, but the ilde was high, it held steady at abou 1.5k rpms. I tapped the gas, and it returned to 1.5k rpms. I drove the car around the parking lot to try and diagnos any other possibly symptoms related to the idle. The car drove fine, except for the high idle, so I parked it and borrowed a car.

I've still not gotten in to the fuses, because I don't have any extra fuses, I was going to get some while I was out today, but I ran out of time because of todays new car trouble.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos:
Well i bought a multimeter and have checked the fuses. The fuses are fine and the multimeter reads above 13volts on the battery. The battery connectors look good, no corosion or anything like that... any other clues? Today the car started the first time no problem and the idle was rock steady in the appropriate range.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
"I pushed down on one of the connections and the car did the "key in ignition door open beep" once." gives you a clue that the problem is in the battery or the connection that you pushed down. If everything was OK, nothing would have happened when you pushed. As always the first thing to suspect is the battery.
It probably has an intermittent internal short. Before you waste a lot of time troubleshooting, replace the battery with a known good one and see if the problem goes away.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos:
This battery is a good one, it is not the battery. It may be a battery connector but both are corrosion free, or it may be the actual cable itself. At least one of those are what I am leaning towards right now.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Check Your Battery Cables Connections Because I Had A Problem Where The Car Would Start When It Wanted To. Then Took It To The Mechanic And All It Was Was The Battery Cables Connection That Was Loose.
BImmerN2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)