Waht Is This Thing For? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
(Thread Starter)
What is it?

[attachmentid=18604]

[attachmentid=18605]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01288.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	17535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01289.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	17536  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
it looks to be your POWER STEERING Reservuoir....remember only fill it or reffill it with BMW brand ATF fluid....or other brand fluids will expand your hoses and leak...

#3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

e30fanm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to e30fanm3 Send a message via Yahoo to e30fanm3
do me a favor and never open your own hood again especially not with tools in your hand
#4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Boxbrownie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Boxbrownie Send a message via MSN to Boxbrownie
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco@Feb 20 2005, 03:28 PM
it looks to be your POWER STEERING Reservuoir....remember only fill it or reffill it with BMW brand ATF fluid....or other brand fluids will expand your hoses and leak...
[snapback]295286[/snapback]

Expand and Leak..........er.....where did you get this information?

Best regards David
#5 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:02 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Boxbrownie+Feb 20 2005, 08:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxbrownie @ Feb 20 2005, 08:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Delmarco@Feb 20 2005, 03:28 PM
it looks to be your POWER STEERING Reservuoir....remember only fill it or reffill it with BMW brand ATF fluid....or other brand fluids will* expand your hoses and leak...

Expand and Leak..........er.....where did you get this information?

Best regards David
[snapback]295292[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

From this forum....I had problems with my own P.S.tank leaking and everyone who knew about this...basically asked me when and how did I re-fill the P.S. Tank and when I told them some mech at AutoZone poured some black stuff in there...they all told me that is why because the store brand ATF boils faster than the BMW brand ATF and leaks out the top of the ...anyway...i checked it out and it was true, it was indeed boiling over and dribbling over the cap...as if the fluid had expanded. But the potential problems can be whenever fluids boil and expand usually the hoses can stretch and burst at the connections. Anyway I cut straight to the BMW dealership and had them repalce the fluids and voila...no more dribbles, leaks or carmel brown stains on my driveway.

I'll post a link to that thread...when I find it...

#6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:21 AM
quality

Garage
boo yah.....

http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/inde...howtopic=21310

the topic i started last year on PS fluid leaks....

#7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi, sounds to me like the mechanic who put that "black" fluid in put some really crappy spec stuff in your pot. Strictly speaking any "BMW spec" ATF will have the same resilience to boiling as the genuine BMW labelled stuff.
I am definately going to check out these specs though, as I have only just come back into the Beemer fold after a long absence and also have gallons of high spec (not BMW) ATF fluid in the garage. But as far as I was aware ATF is ATF as long as it meets API/ISO standards. Exactly the same situation applies to engine oil.

Are you sure he didnt just overfill the pot slightly? That would have made the leak as soon as the fluid was at temperature.

Best regards David
#8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 11:45 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco@Feb 20 2005, 08:28 AM
ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid. That is what you are supposed to put in your transmission. I do not have a manual, so i dont know what it was for.

btw.... all the mods in my prof, were done by me

#9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by Boxbrownie@Feb 20 2005, 10:32 AM
Hi, sounds to me like the mechanic who put that "black" fluid in put some really crappy spec stuff in your pot. Strictly speaking any "BMW spec" ATF will have the same resilience to boiling as the genuine BMW labelled stuff.
I am definately going to check out these specs though, as I have only just come back into the Beemer fold after a long absence and also have gallons of high spec (not BMW) ATF fluid in the garage. But as far as I was aware ATF is ATF as long as it meets API/ISO standards. Exactly the same situation applies to engine oil.

Are you sure he didnt just overfill the pot slightly? That would have made the leak as soon as the fluid was at temperature.

Best regards David
[snapback]295301[/snapback]

David

Yes sir ATF is ATF regardless; if bought from the dealer or any auto parts store. If and when a power steering reservior reads ATF ONLY on its cap thats what you add. Last time I bought it from the dealer the counter person handed me a black bottle with red lettering on it. It says TEXACO ATF fluid.........$5 for that one where the same bottle sells at $2.39 at Strauss auto parts.
regards
billb
#10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

[

Yes sir ATF is ATF regardless; if bought from the dealer or any auto parts store. If and when a power steering reservior reads ATF ONLY on its cap thats what you add. Last time I bought it from the dealer the counter person handed me a black bottle with red lettering on it. It says TEXACO ATF fluid.........$5 for that one where the same bottle sells at $2.39 at Strauss auto parts.
regards
billb
[snapback]295377[/snapback]
[/quote]

My point entirely Bill........

Best regards David
#11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 06:42 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
Yeah that is where u fill up power steering fluid. Had problems with mine the last two days so I need to fix it. Use ATF the dexron 3 I think it was called.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 AM
n00b

Pegasus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco@Feb 20 2005, 08:28 AM
ATF is just ATF. What you mentioned about expanding hoses and leaks only happens when you use POWER STEERING FLUID, which is a different type of lubricant, instead of ATF. Some cars use it in their power steering system but BMWs need ATF. Power steering fluid seems to have a lower boiling temperature which can create leaks in your BMW. Just use some good ATF and you'll safe. Actually, I am using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF and have no problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)