Vanos or Slow car? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: '95 BMW 325is
Photos:
toymachine595 is on a distinguished road
Vanos or Slow car?

Ill try to make this quick although im sure it wont be. I havent been on here in a a long time. I have an 82 320iS, 91 525i, and my biggest project and the topic of this question is my 95 325is. My e36 was my first bmw and probably will stay with me forever. I basically did as much as I could performance wise before getting into forced induction and internal engine builds. Started out of course with the Cosmos cold air intake, UUC System U exhaust, and TMS performance chip. Then went into it all a little deeper with the 3.38 LSD M3 differential and the M3 camshafts as well as the other TMS chip to go with the cams. I actually did the rearend end first because the cams ended up taking longer than I thought to arrive. So i drove my car once i swapped the rear end and as far as i can remember it was amazing, a huge difference, so much better acceleration of the line. I couldnt wait to swap my cams. So the time came, and i did my cams on a weekend, everything went smooth as hell. It was all back together and within a few minutes of letting it run with the new cams i noticed some rattling noises, so my first instinct was i ruined my motor and its knocking and im and idiot but i slowly came to realize it was only my vanos unit that was tapping loudly. So anyway before the install i never had any noise at all. I came to the conclusion maybe the vanos unit was on its way out but it didnt sureface until i disturbed everything during the install, so now almost 8 months later i still havent swapped my vanos although i already have a replacement ready to get in there for whenever the time comes that i get the free time to dive back into the whole thing my concern is my power seems so damn low lately and really i never seemed to gain what i thought i would with the overall install of the lsd and the cams. Now i know with the m3 cams you may lose some torque in the form of some higher end HP and im wondering maybe when i drove it with my new 3.38 lsd before the cams were in if it had more torque then i added the cams which maybe shifted the power ranges into some high end hp vs the low end torque. now my other idea is although the car seems to run fine would the vanos unit rattling make the car not run to its full extent? or am i losing my mind or is my car just old, it has about 140k miles im the second owner. also, im a full time mechanic with my dad at his used car dealership i bought the car a few yrs ago from a dealerships weekend bidding, my dad (a used car dealer) goes to dealerships and bids on the trade ins which the big dealers take in on trades for brand new cars. the car was a one owner traded in on another brand new bmw and i have all records with all bmw service. sorry this is so damn long but maybe i could get some input from all of your guys. also im not some kid thats all about speed and sound and go fast i love every part about bmws and mainly enjoy the old body styles and love driving a stock old bmw like my 82. bmw is such a uinique and interesting company and i love it all. i just want to make sure my car isnt just getting shitty and i shouldnt put anymore money into it maybe i should retire it and show it to my kids when im older and the e36 bodies are ancient its an antique and ill go out and find a nice e30 325 and drive it into the ground,.
toymachine595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 03:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 2004 ZHP 6SPD
Photos:
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond reputebimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
well i'm not sure what is causing your loss of power, but a bad vanos unit could easily be the culprit. sounds like you are pretty good mechanically but here's a link that might be of help. Dr. Vanos - "Less noise / More power"

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
bimmerguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)