vanos noise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cabrit is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
vanos noise

when the car is running it makes a noise in the vanos area as if the chain is loose its kind of like a metal sound the car dont idle roughly the rpm needle is steady dont seem like i`m loosing power. do all of them make that noise or this is something i should be concerned with.
any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:04 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Vanos does have a tendency to sound like marbles rattling around in a coffee can.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
thats exactly what it sounds like
is this a good thing or bad thing
#4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:30 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
This is obviously not good. If you can get the stuff get some BG Engine Quick clean. Add the can to the engine when the engine is at about 1/4 temp, then drive the car for 20-30 min. The more stop and go driving you do the better, this will move the VANOS through its range of movement a lot more than just staying at one steady speed on the freeway. After you are done driving the 20-30 min change the oil and refill with whatever 10-30 you like. We have fixed a few cars this way at the BMW shop I work at and saved our coustomers a lot of money since they didn't have to buy a complete VANOS unit.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
thanx a lot where can i get BG engine clean
#6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:20 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrit
thanx a lot where can i get BG engine clean
I'm not sure if local auto parts stores have it or not but almost every repair shop I have worked in had it in stock so just call arround and see if they have a can. If you are in the Sacramento area you can come up to our shop, we have it on the shelf.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 01:30 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
dam unfrotunately i am in nyi checked pep boys so far nada the best they have is that restore engine additive
#8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrit
dam unfrotunately i am in nyi checked pep boys so far nada the best they have is that restore engine additive
Engine Restore is nothing like the BG Quick Clean. Call arround to the local repair shops that is probably going to be your best bet.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
somebody told me i might also have to cahnge my water pump
i am hearing a whistle type coming out from the engine on acceleration could it be the water pump
#10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:23 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

vwk is an unknown quantity at this point
It could be everything. There all pulleys, it's quite normal to replace them like every 15.000miles

Euro E36 M3 3.2 Rebuild Project

27 years
#11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Neutral Member

thinair is on a distinguished road
I have the same issue. It could be a timing chain tensioner, or just a rattly VANOS. If you have 60k or more try getting a new tensioner installed. They're not that expensive.

Nelson Papel
1997 Madeira Violet 328is - Carbonio Intake, Racing Dynamics exhaust, fan delete, ASC delete, M50 intake manifold, M3 Cams, Eurospeed/AA software, 3.38LSD, M3 f&r brakes + MC, Bilstein PSS, Eibach swaybars, BBS RK 17x8" wheels, Toyo T1R (235/40R17) tires, Racing Dynamics K55 kit, full euro lighting, 4300k HID lows, etc..........
<a href='http://www3.sympatico.ca/thinairbikes/bmw.htm' target='_blank'>Click here for more info on my car</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)