Vacuum Leak - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RedlinedRU is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RedlinedRU
(Thread Starter)
I had a performance muffler installed and the guy left the vacuum hose that goes into the muffler just hanging out. I can hear it sucking air, and I think I might have a slight power loss. Is a power loss possible from a vacuum leak? should i plug the hose up? Help

<span style='color:green'>
AMG can't build an NA engine that can compete with M engines, so they stick in a supercharger and say their cars are faster. BMW could simply do the same, but they don't out of principle.</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM

(Thread Starter)
well i just looked it up and this is what a site says about bmw vacuum hose leaks. I still don't know what to do though.

Other BMW Maintenance Parts

Many maintenance parts are mistakenly seen as non-critical. Though not true "tuneup" parts, the functions of these parts can definitely impact the benefit of any tuneup. Plus, as emission laws have gotten more stringent, these parts have become essential - if you want your BMW to pass emissions the first time around.

Oxygen Sensor (O2 Sensor): Your oxygen sensor(s) should be replaced at the recommended intervals. A worn oxygen sensor drastically changes engine settings. For more information on oxygen sensors, see the tech article BMW Oxygen Sensor Repairs

Vacuum Hoses: Many major systems depend on manifold vacuum for signals and function. All vacuum hoses should be checked and replaced as needed. Even a slight leak can cause major problems with performance; in some cases, the car won't even run if there's a vacuum leak.

Temperature Sensors: Temperature sensors for various engine functions can also be a good weekend project. These sensors control the fuel injection system, cooling system and even the exhaust system. And they can definitely be a cause of poor performance problems.

AMG can't build an NA engine that can compete with M engines, so they stick in a supercharger and say their cars are faster. BMW could simply do the same, but they don't out of principle.</span>
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Well if it use to go there.. and it has a spot to go..and its just hanging there.. I would put it back in its home....

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:30 PM

(Thread Starter)
yeah, but the new muffler doesn't have a place for it.

the muffler guys said that the bmw mufflers are top of the line because they have a valve in them that is closed until the engine heats up. the valve is used to store enging heat to heat the motor up faster. I think that hose has something to do with it, but don't know what.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 04:04 PM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
yes, plug it up.

vaccume leaks WILL cause power loss.
find out where it comes from and plug it from there if you can. a long hose just chillin out is gonna be a problem later.

but im confused, i dont remember any vacume hoses going to the mufflers....could it be from the rear diff or somewhere else???? or are the muffs on a 98 waaaayy different? my 91 and 94 dont have that, and i dont recall seeing it on any of the cars that rolled into the shop.

Mark
#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 05:12 PM

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
You don't got one speedy, it's only on the OBDII cars.

I think you're refering to the exhaust valve that's there for more torque so that could be your loss of power.

Kevin (President TBEA)

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
#7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 05:19 PM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
*huff----huff*

well i didnt want one anyway......... :nana

Mark
#8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 05:05 PM

(Thread Starter)
thanks speedy and kev and alpine!

#9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 05:19 PM
5th Gear Member

Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
If I were you, I would take it back to the guy who did your exhaust and tell him to fix it...

I am saying that bcs on ym previous car, I had a true dual custom exhaust done, and one day my dad drove my car (god knows for what reason) and he thought there was something wrong with it (where there wasn't) him and his mechanic fixed "aka killed my custom exhaust job" since they didn't know how it was "duh it's a custom job, not supposed to like like anyhting you've seen before". But anyways, my point is - the guy would fix it for free bcs you paid him for a job he didn't do right all the way.

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
yeah thats what my dad said to do.....sounds good, but for now i just plugged it up.....seemed to get a little more power too

#11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
that vacuum pipe you are talking about is to open and close a a port on one of the exaust ports. the vacuum pipe is fitted on a raound thing, inside there is a round metal shaft that moves foward or backwards, to open or close the port on the exaust.

this pipe goes all the way back to the manifold, on stock exaust systems, when ever you step on the gas, vacuum is created on the manifold, but when accelerating there is a high vacuum moment, this high vacuum opens this port. this little port system was to ensure optional low end torque and top. so the engine can have a more controlled exaust system for different engine speeds.

sicne on the new exaust there is not such a device, all you have to do it to plug the pipe. and dont go to the guy who installed this complaining, because there is o nothing he can do.. yes he made a mistake of not plugin it. but still there is nothing he can do about the port opening and closing feature, only stock exaust system have this,

and if you went to your exaust and is not there, well there is an explanation. OBD 1 cars did not have this, since they where more primitive. beginning on 95/96 they had the OBD 2 system, a much advanced computer management system..

so dont freak out.. as long is plugged, your good.

and if you think this is not true, go and look for a metal "door" on one of the ports on the exaust of any e36 that is made after 95/96 .

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)