BMW Werkz banner

USED BMW BUYING ADVICE

750 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Silver4evr 
#1 ·
hey guys, i only wantto spend 5000 bucks. how RELIABLE is a 94/95 bmw with 100,000 miles on it? i love the style and would really like to get one. its my first car. thanks

#2 ·
with a good maintenance history, this ride can give you 100 miles more easy.

check with carfax for vehicle history....
if available, check with owner on maintenance record...
have it seen an test driven by a trusted mechanic...
pepboys also provide a visual check and test drive vehicles for a fee, i havent tried them though, coz i check it myself.

lets hear what others have to say..........

#3 ·
If it has been maintained by a dealer, get the VIN and have them print out the repair history.

Having the engine compression checked is a reliable way to find out how well the motor oil has been maintained. Also, when is the next major maint. due and how much will it cost? How are the tires, etc. This will help you estimate future costs.

You might go to the local library and check out some old consumer reports buying guides to see if that model made the "reliable used car list" or not.

Ask the owner if you can view the maint. records, if available.
If no records available, I would walk away.

check edmunds.com or kbb.com for blue book pricing.

Just my 2c.

Good luck.

Oh, if the owner is a little older, the car prolly has not been just been kept shiny and then raced to death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.