BMW Werkz banner

Urgent: Engine Coolant Dropping

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  007ben 
#1 ·
I have a question that I just can't figure out the solution.

Driving a 95 325i

I drove my car about 1.5 hours 2 weeks ago and ran it fairly hard towards the end of the drive around corners. Smoke was coming from the front so I opened the hood and saw fluid sprinkled around. My best guess from the smell and look was that it was Engine Coolant.

The level was low so I filled it up later and it seemed ok though even when full the check coolant level kept coming on my dash. It seemed to run ok but the alert kept coming. I checked it tonight and I noticed it was almost gone again... WTF?

Now I must note that my oil needs changed but to save you 20hrs of reading I will just say I haven't been able to change it, thats all that will be said. It's probably 1000 miles over.

Now my question is what could be the cause of the coolant dropping like this. I opened the hood and look for cracks in the container or leakages and couldn't find any. I gave it a few steady shakes and though it wasn't exactly tight against anything, nothing spilled or dripped out from anywhere I can tell.

Is it possible that the coolant is working overload on the engine because the oil needs changed? Truthfully I have no clue and just short of taking it to the shop I want to know if I changed the oil if that would cure the problem.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks much

Deryck Ramey

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by djramey@Oct 1 2004, 06:50 PM
I have a question that I just can't figure out the solution.

Driving a 95 325i

I drove my car about 1.5 hours 2 weeks ago and ran it fairly hard towards the end of the drive around corners. Smoke was coming from the front so I opened the hood and saw fluid sprinkled around. My best guess from the smell and look was that it was Engine Coolant.

The level was low so I filled it up later and it seemed ok though even when full the check coolant level kept coming on my dash. It seemed to run ok but the alert kept coming. I checked it tonight and I noticed it was almost gone again... WTF?

Now I must note that my oil needs changed but to save you 20hrs of reading I will just say I haven't been able to change it, thats all that will be said. It's probably 1000 miles over.

Now my question is what could be the cause of the coolant dropping like this. I opened the hood and look for cracks in the container or leakages and couldn't find any. I gave it a few steady shakes and though it wasn't exactly tight against anything, nothing spilled or dripped out from anywhere I can tell.

Is it possible that the coolant is working overload on the engine because the oil needs changed? Truthfully I have no clue and just short of taking it to the shop I want to know if I changed the oil if that would cure the problem.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks much

Deryck Ramey
[snapback]203120[/snapback]​
I didnt quite understand the whole story but Check the clamp where the coolant hose goes into the radiator. Sometimes that comes loose, or there can be hairline fractures on the actual radiator.

#3 ·
Couple questions before I can help.. have you tried to search this forum for problems suchs as yours??? there are many...

Is your coolant leaking when the car is not hot??.. or after driving? or while running?

When was the last time you changed your coolant or thermostat?

BTW.. it is normal for your check coolant advisory to show after adding coolant.. remember you must keep filling the coolant up after it has been drained or been lost.. because it doesnt get into the entire engine untill it is driven.. so drive.. fill.. drive.. fill.. ect... keep checking it.. and it will eventually be full

Les

#4 ·
The best and only way to diagnose a coolant leak is to use a pressure tester.

Sometimes the cracks in the tanks don't show themselves until over 10psi.

Get yourself a pressure tester.

A quick check, grab hold of the fan with your hands and try to move it. If it moves from side to side, or front to back -- at all -- then your water pump is shot.

#5 ·
you have to do more inspection under the hood. For now take a look at the backside of your engine by the firewall; you will see several hoses with clamps; front of engine you have upper/lower bigger hoses; the upper one ends by a housing for your thermestat check around it for leaks/cracks. You may want to consider leaving engine running while you looking for leaks. This will help in building some pressure in the system as such If there is a crack it will leak.
good luck
billb

#6 ·
sqeeze the hoses listen and look for leaks. Mine tended to leak durring "spirited" drives.
if you hear something get that area you hear it from wet and sqeeze more and see if it bubbles.

I found my leak that way. It was on the drivers side where the plastic of the radiator met the metal portion. I replaced the whole coolant system with an overhaul kit from bimmerworld. that included, thermostat, thermostat housing, water pump, belt, hoses and coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.