BMW Werkz banner

upgrades

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Q_BMW 
#1 ·
Hey,
I have a 96 328i with 105K miles. It has the optional bmw sports package with the 16" rims and a little tigher suspension. I am interested in doing some affordable ($500-600) performance upgrades for my car. I did read some posts out here but had some questions regarding exhaust and chips as they seem to be the best upgrades for now. Will I have to get them installed at a BMW dealer ? cuz they are just too damm expensive for anything. If someone could give me like a ballpark total figure for a decent exhaust system with installation and some hints of chips and info on them ,would appreciate it.
Thanks
Q

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If you are a competant person with some experience with working on cars yourself, its not something that you even have to have installed. MOST of the people within this forum actually install most of their Mods themself. Refer to the FAQ section of this forum for intstallation tips and techniques for numerous parts for e36s. I know the exhaust should be a bolt on, so if you can get under your car easily, then its something you could probably take care of.

#3 ·
:welcome to the forums!

An exhaust system is not something you would wish to install yourself, but software is relatively easy.

That being said, one mod for your particular car that I would HIGHLY recomend, is the OBDII-OBDI conversion. This is significantly more expensive than software or an exhaust (not a lot more than both together however). Basically this is one of the most cost effective and best mods for the 2.8L M52 engine. It has been performed on my car, and upon completion of the installation of new software, I will enjoy as much hp and tq as I will ever need. Here is a link to explain it better and PM me if you want additional info. {HERE}

Keep in mind this single mod makes your engine more efficient while adding about 28hp, and you can still add aftermarket software for additional gains! :rock

#4 ·
Hey
thanks for the reply. I have always wanted to do installations and stuff on my car myself but I must admit I hardly have any experience doing stuff myself. Anyways I checked the FAQ , got a lot of DIY tips, thanks.

Would anyone happen to know a good toolkit to buy and invest it so I can finally begin doing upgrades and maintanence for my car ?? Also when people do exhaust upgrades and maintanence themselves, do you just raise your car with the car jack ?
thanks again
Q

#5 ·
Hey
the OBDII-OBDI conversion looks great but its too much for me to spend right now. Will def keep it in mind for the near future hopefully.

How does one know if their exhaust needs to be changed ? Like when I hold down the throttle its revs up and sounds fine, but when I release the throttle, it makes a slight farting sound towards the end of the cycle. I know a lot of good exhaust do that, but mine is a 9 yr old stock one , so dontthink thats the case.

thanks for the help

Q

#6 ·
You would have to raise your car with a jack if you did it yourself, but you would need 2 Jackstands for each end (4 total). You need good support for the car considering you would be working under a ton+ of metal. Its only something you should really do if you have at least some experience with it.

It sounds to me like you should just get it done somewhere. You don't have to take it to a dealer, but just any local shop could put an aftermarket exhaust that you purchased elsewhere considering it would be a bolt on. It should only cost somewhere around a $150 bucks for general installation, but probably not more than that. Snap-On and Craftsman tools are the best I use. MAC tools are very good too. I suggest you invest in a manual to help you learn everything about your car.

I have an 8 year old stock exhaust myself and its somewhat loud. Its a little bit of a performance sound that I find exists in pretty much all BMWs. If it concerns you, have a mechanic check it out for you. He can put it up on a lift and do checks for any exhaust leaks. Again, it shouldn't be near as expensive as a dealer would charge. An exhaust leak would more or less sound like "blowing a raspberry with your tongue :p "

#8 ·
buy "Haynes BMW Service Manual"

#9 ·
Hey
Thanks a lot guys for the advice.
So if I dont need an exhaust, i.e if mine is good do you guys recommend putting a new one to increase performance ? Or is it better to invest in a header or an intake ?
Or would it be best just to get a chip and leave everything else the way it is ?
my budget is around 500 with installation and stuff ....

as for the tools ? do they sell like auto tool kits which have most of the basic tools to do stuff ? What is an easy thing I should start with if I want to get hands on with my car ? an oil change ? I did buy the manual just yesterday and will be reading it.
thanks

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.