Upgrade mirrors from just electric to heated? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2005, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Upgrade mirrors from just electric to heated?

hey guys, my car currently has the stock electric mirrors and i was looking into upgrading to some heated mirrors due to alot of freezing wheather where i live. Does anyone know what is required to hook it up? should it hookup the same as the old mirrors or will i have to wire up the heater part myself? thanks in advanced!

--kyleabaker
kyle_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
i was sure they were prewired for heated, actually i think yours should be heated already.... so i thought, mine were on my 1994's stock mirrors. so maybe ill let someone who has TIS/ETK to answer it.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
how can i tell if they are heated? i mean how long will it take for them to warm up? I don't have heated seats or anything so i was thinking i wouldn't have heated mirrors but that'd be great if i did, although, they may just not be heating right or something cause i've never noticed them heating.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
WardJ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to WardJ Send a message via MSN to WardJ Send a message via Yahoo to WardJ
if you're going to change them, just make sure you get the same window mounts
Window Tint
New Badges - Check!
Muffler - Check! - Ansa free flow
New Radio
Sport Shocks - Bilstein
Keyless Entry + Alarm - BMW Security Systems
Power Flow Intake

THE founding member of "i don't hate on del"
WardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
I know on american cars, all the wiring is usually there. Less wiring harnesses to make. Not sure about European cars. I wouldn't mind having them myself.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
oh, cool, so if i get new heated mirrors it should plugin the same and all be working! good to know! i'm gonna go out in a bit and double check to see that mine aren't already heated, i haven't noticed it but maybe i'm just impatient, lol. thanks for the help everyone!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
The owner's manual says the mirrors work with the key in position 2. That's the position with the car running. However, the manual says this is car specific or optional. Probably part of "cold weather" package. Mine doesn't heat with the car running. I have a wiring diagram for the mirror, but I can't read these things. If you have a Bentley, it's in "ELE-242", around page 725. I have put the picture in the test area of the forum under "power mirror" if you can decipher. Let us know.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
yeah, i was thinking that the heated mirrors came with the winter package, which i don't have. best i can tell, my mirrors don't heat.

dang, that diagram is confusing, i can't tell anything about the heated part on it. all i can understand about it is the way the switch is wired up to the mirrors. although, this is a guess, but i think the wire at the bottom labeled "BRN" might be the heated mirrors wire, it has a number attached to it... G203 . anyone know if that has anything to do with the heated mirror part?

heres the link to the post witht he pic uploaded by tomctx in the test forums...
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/tes...ror-43213.html
Old 12-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
green325is is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 94 325is and don't think i have heated mirrors. I do have heated seats but don't think the mirrors are. I'll check tomorrow too. Would ALL heated mirrors have a switch to turn the heat on/off? I wouldn't want the heat on 24/7 while the car is on!

P.S. I put RAIN-X on my outside mirrors and on the cold mornings or after driving several minutes there is no ice, water, or fog on the glass!
green325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by green325is
i have a 94 325is and don't think i have heated mirrors. I do have heated seats but don't think the mirrors are. I'll check tomorrow too. Would ALL heated mirrors have a switch to turn the heat on/off? I wouldn't want the heat on 24/7 while the car is on!

P.S. I put RAIN-X on my outside mirrors and on the cold mornings or after driving several minutes there is no ice, water, or fog on the glass!
The owner's manual doesn't say anything about a switch. With the car running, probably has a sensor that turns on the heat, depending on temp outside. Probably turns off after a few minutes.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
green325is is an unknown quantity at this point
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got out of my car today and the mirrors were warm! I learn something new every day on that car! So I guess the 94's with heated seats came with heated mirrors. I hope they don't burn out cause they are always on? hmmm......
green325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
as far as i know the heated mirrors and heated seats pretty much always came together. i think they came as a package, the winter or cold weather package.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)