An update and a question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1992 Bmw 318is (e36)
Photos:
acid86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to acid86 Send a message via Yahoo to acid86
An update and a question

So, I've been really busy with work, birth of a daughter, and general life issues with the military and what not, but I am still in progress with the 318is. Current projects inclued a port and polish on the head, the gasket changes and what not that accompany that, interior work, lightening and a few other minute things. I've been getting the urge to spend more time on everything but money and the availability of parts and time have been holding me back.

The question at hand is this, when installing a turbo set up or even SC, how or what do you do with the mass airflow sensor unit? Do you just keep it in line and push the forced air through it or is there a bypass? Every attempt to run the engine without the sensor has resulted in chugging and bogged performance to the point where driving it around the block was a bad idea.

Hook it up with the knowledge!
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Put it before the turbo; putting it where you're blowing boost through it could not only skew the readings, but I suspect it could really destroy it as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
What Torque said. You may need a custom part to allow the sensor's installation before the turbo
Old 12-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
What Torque said. You may need a custom part to allow the sensor's installation before the turbo
Just a bracket to hold it and the wiring needs to be lengthened to reach the other side of the car, but overall not too bad.

ps. I'm more and more tempted to buy a turbo manifold, a cheap chinese turbo, a rising rate fpr and strap it on to my car at about 6 or 7 psi just to see if I can get a few more horses out; i'd be happy with like 30 extra hp as it would cost me ... 500 dollars. lol
Old 12-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1992 Bmw 318is (e36)
Photos:
acid86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to acid86 Send a message via Yahoo to acid86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque View Post
Just a bracket to hold it and the wiring needs to be lengthened to reach the other side of the car, but overall not too bad.

ps. I'm more and more tempted to buy a turbo manifold, a cheap chinese turbo, a rising rate fpr and strap it on to my car at about 6 or 7 psi just to see if I can get a few more horses out; i'd be happy with like 30 extra hp as it would cost me ... 500 dollars. lol
500? Let me know where you find that at... Please!

obtw, thanks once again.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)