BMW Werkz banner

Unstable Idling On 'd' 94 325is

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  obd2guru 
#1 ·
94 325is auto

I've been searching for hundreds of threads regarding this issue.
However, I'm not sure yet. So let me ask u any suggestion for this.

On 'P' or 'N', idling seems ok 'round 700.

But when it's on 'D' and driving slowly in a parking lot or in any residential street with lots of stop signs, when car comes to almost stop, the idling bounces up & down.

If I give it more gas while bouncing, car lurches and kicks as if it has lack of tranny fluid.

This happens a bit randomly, so when I had my mechanic accompany me and inspect the car, it rarely happens but it obviously happens anyday, anytime, anywhere and i'm kinda scared giving a ride to my gf.

Any apparent suggestions for this? will be very appreciated. thnx

#2 ·
Originally posted by wango@Aug 29 2005, 05:43 PM
94 325is auto

I've been searching for hundreds of threads regarding this issue.
However, I'm not sure yet. So let me ask u any suggestion for this.

On 'P' or 'N', idling seems ok 'round 700.

But when it's on 'D' and driving slowly in a parking lot or in any residential street with lots of stop signs, when car comes to almost stop, the idling bounces up & down.

If I give it more gas while bouncing, car lurches and kicks as if it has lack of tranny fluid.

This happens a bit randomly, so when I had my mechanic accompany me and inspect the car, it rarely happens but it obviously happens anyday, anytime, anywhere and i'm kinda scared giving a ride to my gf.

Any apparent suggestions for this? will be very appreciated. thnx
[snapback]373211[/snapback]​
Start by cleaning your Idle Stabilisator Valve with silicon spray!
You can find a lot of posts on this issue to help localizing and removing it. Operation will cost you 20 minutes and may solve your idle problems. Actually it did on mine (93' 325i)!

#3 ·
yep ,can be your idle control or an air leak

#4 ·
If the engine works fine by itself in park or neutral but it doesnt work the same when its connected to the drivetrain. If there was a vacuum leak the car would run horrible while its in park or neutral and idle control valve, if had problems would also affect the car in park of neutral. How is the car shifting? Maybe time for a tranny service or its something more serious.

-Serge

#5 ·
hey folks, thank you so much for ur replies.

I decided to check one by one. So the 1st thing to do is to clean ICV.

i've check the connection and cleaned it by elec part cleaner.
However, is there any way to clean the valve without removal of manifold?
I think I gotta replace ICV if cleaning doesn't work.

There are over hundreds of posts regarding this, but i've never seen
any 'how to' with pic for m50's ICV.

thnx

#6 ·
Originally posted by theruss1an1@Aug 31 2005, 04:27 AM
If the engine works fine by itself in park or neutral but it doesnt work the same when its connected to the drivetrain. If there was a vacuum leak the car would run horrible while its in park or neutral and idle control valve, if had problems would also affect the car in park of neutral. How is the car shifting? Maybe time for a tranny service or its something more serious.

-Serge
[snapback]373546[/snapback]​
yeah idling surges mostly on 'D' , so it might be bad tranny. But i don't like to
conclude that tranny is culprit for this. well, let me take basic solution one by one from icv. thnx serge.

#7 ·
i fixed a passat the other day with a similar problem , and it was a stuck/failing lockup sol valve sticking open , and this kinda stuff its difficult to get just by it , if you feel the engine is working fine has power and idles good when in p or n then is either a failing torque converter or a faulty trans sol. you can check live data with a scanner but i dont know if you can get a hold of someone with one near or the dealer , a good tactic is to take it to an aamco center they test it for free ,or ask for a
pan drop inspection to check if theres debris or contamination on the
bottom of the pan. should be aroun 70 dlls for the pan drop. and to check the codes and data if free. on some aamcos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.