BMW Werkz banner

unidentified cable hanging loose! What could it be for??

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  e36surge 
#1 ·
:confused: Hey everyone,

This morning I discovered a loosely hanging cable behind the driver's halogen lamp. Looks like it's a brown and grey, seem like they should be connected to something but I can't pin point to what. All teh lights work fine and instruments seems to be in order too. I tried to look around that area if there is anything that might need some sort of power but no. Any ideas what this cable might be for?

I also noticed that my computer displays (or seems to be stuck on) -35F temperature. could that cable have something to do with teh temperataure sensor? I don't know where it is exactly, so am guessing. Since I just noticed those two things.

Any ideas advice? on both or one of them? Thanks again!!

#2 ·
The temp sensor is in the driver's side brake duct. Sounds like it may be the wire.

#5 ·
WarNox said:
in a RHD car yea, but in LHD its in passenger side airduct!

well, let's see. I'm in the U.S. I have left-hand drive. And my sensor is in the Driver's side brake duct.

#7 ·
okI give up .... so I did a google search to find out what the temperature sensor in my car looks like, also found out that the correct term for it is "ambient temperature sensor" ... so the part looks like a plug with a little antenna, correct? So why can't I seem to find it? I looked underneath, from the top, whether it's gone, ripped whatever, or I'm trully blind and looking at all the wrong places.

Help!!

#8 ·
Yep, yellow pug with little black antenna. crank the car and turn the wheels all the way to the left. If you look into the wheelwell, you should see the brake duct in the front. The sensor is sticking out quite clearly on the side next to the engine. If you don't see it, it's gone or broken. Since the computer is displaying the -35C it must have been there at one time. Disappeared while installing lights?

#9 ·
tomctx said:
well, let's see. I'm in the U.S. I have left-hand drive. And my sensor is in the Driver's side brake duct.
ok yeah i think i got it the wrong way around!

LHD is drivers side
RHD is passenger side

so always the right side of car when facing the car!

here is a pic of it, for the 3rd time on this forum lol

oh and how do u get the attachment to show in the post rather than as a link?

Attachments

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.