underdrive pulley or not? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kyle2blue is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
underdrive pulley or not?

should i get an u/d pulley kit? pros and cons please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 03:23 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
get them. there really is no cons to them as long as you dont underdrive the alternator or the crank. they say its safe to underdrive the alternator but i dont think (personally i would take the chance) there are underdrive pullies for the crank as well but once again its a bad idea to do this, especially if you decide to do a lightweight flywheel in the future.

they are a decent mod to do , i will be putting mine in , in the spring

#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
My buddy has them onhis e36. It's annoying as shit

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
like mark said...no alternator or crank pully's...

#5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Neutral Member

cloaked95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
My buddy has them onhis e36. It's annoying as shit
Did he say what annoyed him? I was thinking about it too.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Steve Dinan is generally against them. He knows a lot about our cars.

http://dinancars.com/whitepapersFile.asp?ID=5

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:27 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

vwk is an unknown quantity at this point
With a light flighwheel you'll always get unbalance in your crank, eventually causing your crank to break.

Euro E36 M3 3.2 Rebuild Project

27 years
#8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
For Teh Walrus?

WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold WALSRU is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to WALSRU Send a message via MSN to WALSRU
Good link M3UOND. That was more detailed than anything I've found but it did make me feel pretty good I'd already decided against underdriving. I'm still planning on a fan delete mod though. I would think that should free up just as much without the damage (Ohio isn't that warm anyway). http://www.understeer.com/onlinestore-engine.shtml

"I would not know what the spirit of a philosopher might wish more to be than a good dancer."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

1980 635csi Euro . . . Current
1985 535i . . . Soon to be parted out
2001 Subaru Forester . . . DD
#9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 02:21 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
that link is pretty much talking about the dangers of underdriving the crank pully, i dont recall anything bad said about underdriving the other accessories.

#10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 08:46 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

Any underdriving is bad. Weither it's for your waterpump, dynamo etc.

I can assure you it's bad.

@Walsdru
Don't get your hopes up to high about the fan delete mod.
It's nice to do when your fan clutch is broke, but otherwise please keep the money in your pocket.
Dyno tests I've seen have proven a 1~3bhp gain, so IMO it's not word the effort.

27 years
#11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 10:11 AM
ex owner/admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince318i
Any underdriving is bad. Weither it's for your waterpump, dynamo etc.

I can assure you it's bad.

@Walsdru
Don't get your hopes up to high about the fan delete mod.
It's nice to do when your fan clutch is broke, but otherwise please keep the money in your pocket.
Dyno tests I've seen have proven a 1~3bhp gain, so IMO it's not word the effort.

thats odd, can you link me to these dyno graphs? or PM me some? im curious as i will be doing it, and friends that have done this mod have seen a gain of around 4-5wrhp (like a hp gain of like 8-9hp)

as for the pullies i dunno, ive yet to read any cautions where someone had damaged the car due to it.. ive talked to bmw about pullies, they obviously dont recommend them , but they do say there is a tolerance that most do follow, because most accesories do use more power than is required,

#12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:13 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
thats odd, can you link me to these dyno graphs? or PM me some? im curious as i will be doing it, and friends that have done this mod have seen a gain of around 4-5wrhp (like a hp gain of like 8-9hp)

as for the pullies i dunno, ive yet to read any cautions where someone had damaged the car due to it.. ive talked to bmw about pullies, they obviously dont recommend them , but they do say there is a tolerance that most do follow, because most accesories do use more power than is required,
I don't have the dynocharts myself, I would like to give them to you to prove it, so you just have to believe me based on the fact that I drive a bimmer

I often visit this guy over here in Holland, he makes his living with car maintainance, mostly BMW. He also races professional with bimmers, makes racecars, build an M3 3.2L engine into a 323ti compact tuned to 350PK, so the guy really knows his deal.

I've asked him what he thinks about the commond mods like fan delete, underdrive pulley's etc. When I said if the fan delete mod really produced 6PK gain, he just laughed. He tested it himself on the Dyno, and showed 1 to 3PK gain.

Ofcourse it's something that makes your car "slower", but why spend that amount of money for so little gain... was his advise.

I've asked him because with my accident the fan got stuck between the engine and the radiator, so my clutch is fucked.
In his opinion this would be the only valid reason for me to do the fan delete mod.

If you want to spend 100~150 dollars for a fan + 99 dollars for the thermostat, waterwetter etc. just to gain 3PK, please do so.. But IMO it's not worth the money.

27 years
#13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Neutral Member

cloaked95 is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess if we all look at HP on a financial matter it should break down to approximately $40.00 per HP. I think this is a pretty close estimate on what we all spend to get the extra umph!!! out of our engines. SO, If anyone has the money to spend just do it. A little HP from the C/A a little from the Chip, a little from the exhaust a little from the fan delete and a little from the underdrive pulley WOW! if I get an average 5 HP for every addition that calculates to Ahhhhhhh?
25 HP I think that a hell of a lot of little HP.
Not I dont want to believe anyone but if there is no documentation its just heresay or someone elses opinion. I myself like to see it on paper.

Last edited by cloaked95; 02-10-2006 at 11:36 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
ex owner/admin

im gonna be putting my car on the dyno this spring, we will see what my mods will be able to get. im hoping to see around 215-220wrhp but its along shot we will see i guess when everything is done.

as for the fan delete, i guess , much like most mods, it depends on the car, some cars react very well to mods and some do not react to them at all

#15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
vwk
1st Gear Member

That I agree with you, but in my case I'd spended the bucks on a OEM M3 GT Class II spoiler and the paint for that. Rather doing that then the risk of gaining 2PK :P

But as far as the underdrive pulleys go: Just don't

27 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)