Is This Typical?? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Justin318is is an unknown quantity at this point
so i have a 93 318is and i was wondering if it is normal for how it has been acting. i want to clear it up know becasue i have posted some in the past but really did nothing. So here it is its a 1993 318is with 130 k on it with an automatic engine. When i first got it back in april it was more responsvie and quicker but know it feels like it is on the verge of breaking down. When i try to drive from a sop i have to give it all the gas. Usually in other cars when you give it gas it responds more and more as the further you floor it, in mine it has two stages little gas or all gas. So i dont know if its natural for it to happen i just dont want it to break down on me since this is my third car and i dont want to go through another since i've only had my licnese for about 8 months. Before you think that i am a bad driver im not. My first car was a 1985 honda crx 5 speed with almost 200 k on it. Bought it for 250 dollars. So i drove it for about a month then the clutch went out. Couple weeks latter i bought a 1995 vw jetta with 80k for 3200 dollars and i had that from christmas to march when i was waiting to make a left hand turn with my blinker on and a lady ran into me from behind. Car totaled and car 4400 dollars from inscurance great deal since i only paid 3200. So i then bought my 318is. Also since i've bought it i have never really had it checked out or tuned yet. My exhuast ane pipes are pretty messed up since it sounds like a dirt bike and has many rattles while the car is on and thumps. With in a week of driving my car it kept thumping and shaking so had it checked out and figured it had no motor mounts so the motor was going wherever it wanted to. Thank god nothing broke in the motor bay. But Please any ideas will help thank you. sorry if this is long im bored and thought i would type my life story(just playin)
Justin318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Tacorom6969 is an unknown quantity at this point
have you been keeping up with the routine maintence???? have you been doing it or have you had someplace do it???? if you are doing it i would check all fluids and everything before you go taking apart the engine or something... i know it sounds dumb, but that can make all the difference in the world.. if that doesnt work i would give you car 2 tanks of the most expensive gas you can find.. lol as with most car parts.. you get what you pay for. if that doesnt work maybe some fuel injector cleaner would work (again use with expensive gas).
Tacorom6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: Anthracite e39 530iA
Photos:
Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
Yea I agree . . probably fuel related. Fuel filter, injectors clogged, maybe just bad gas.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i never had it serviced and [probably should how much do they charge
Old 07-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
I second "try using at least 90 octane gas" I noticed after 2-3 weeks of driving on 87 that my car was running really rough.

So purchase fuel injection cleaner and a full tank of 90 otcane.

The price difference between 87 and 90 is like 10-20 cents. So an over all 2-3 dollars per fill up. There's NO reason why not to use Super in your bmw.
aheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
damn man.. u should really get a full tune up... o2 sensors... spark plugs... belts... and all other kinds of goodies.. to run up a 1000$ bill!! heh.. welcome to the bimmer world!

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
i run 89 octane all the time? I ran teh 93 supreme once, is there a huge difference at all in car pickup?

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
theironm0nk is an unknown quantity at this point
yes

Like I said new plugs change the oil is easy in a 318is. go under put a pan drain the oil till its all out. Then seal it back up open the engine bay undo the screw open the top drop in the new filter. close put in high performance synthetic no additive oil and your ready for a good test run. That takes literally 5 minutes to do. spark plugs and wires are almost as easy if it wasnt for the tracks are a real pain in the fucking ass so expect 20 minutes. I dont know about the O2 sensor I'll get back to you on that.

If you dont trust mechanics become one take bosseis class or take a course in college or high school if you still attend. I've saved atleast $2000 Actually I save atleast $500 more than most people who own cheap cars and take it to a mechanic. Because once you have your mechanic fix all simple things by the time you pay it off you need to have it done again. Most mechanic in my area order cheap shoddy knock off OEM parts from expensive suppliers then charge you that and charge you $60-$80 an hour and they usually bounce between cars but still charge you for how long it takes t finish the job. So an oil change costs over $200 and you dont know what they did exactly. There also taught to look for problems even creat them so you come back asap. I saw the guy who did a simple check for over heating asked them to add water. I caught them cutting my belt. They said I had to pay I refused I threatened cops they did too. I threatend to call consumer afares they said they'll just change there company name(small gas station namex) finally I grabed the guy with the belt and knife in his hand who was laughing at me put him in an arm lock and held him while he screamed in pain till he offered to do it for free .

i know martial arts should not be used that way but they said I had to pay $400 with $200 down payment to fix my car and they said I proabably had to wait 2 weeks before it would be done. They were done in 1/2 an hour and I was gone. I also had them deported
theironm0nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i would have kicked his ass to man that is dumb yea my dad use to own a body shop in california and worked on porsches mainly but i have alread changed the oil and oil filter, new water pump motor mounts and everything is new from the catalytic converter back except for the resanator so it sounds like a dirt bike, but they wanted me to spend an extra 200 dollars for that but i need to do it. Also i think it is deffintely fuel related, since if i try to floor it from a complete stop it has a major delay in it and dosent feel like all the power is going, also i tried to do it manually and did the same thing, should i still put in the highest octane 91 where i live in colorado goes 85 87 91, even though it is a four cylinder i should put the highest in? I just dont want someone to charge me an arm and leg for sometihing me and my dad can do. What should i try to do on my own first before i take it in to get looked at maybe spark plugs fuel filter wires etc. dont know so anything that may help please tell me anything please
Old 07-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
when it is in park today i decided to floor it and it flys up there in the rpms but when i floor it when it is in drive or first it staggers and then kind of acclerates
Old 07-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
nobrakese36 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nobrakese36
try a new fuel fiter check your vauum hoses maybee cracked or worn, also clean the air box and filter you wont believe the crap youll find in there,good luck
nobrakese36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)