Turn signal problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BombSquad91 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Turn signal problem

Here's my problem. My left turn signal doesn't work. I put in a single filament bulb by accident. When I turned on the left signal I heard a weird "zzzt" noise coming from near the fuse box or behind the dash. I put a dual filament bulb in and the left signal still doesn't work. The green signal light on the cluster doesn't even light up. When I turn the hazards on only the right works. Again, green light on the cluster doesn't light up. Both front parking lights come on. Can anyone help? I don't want to have to bring the car to a shop but I can't risk getting pulled over for not using my signal. Thank in advance everyone.

My BMW misses Hondy.
My BMW never sees a shop.
My BMW grew up on Franny Lew.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 04:11 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I'd check to see if the flasher unit is bad.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombSquad91 View Post
Here's my problem. My left turn signal doesn't work. I put in a single filament bulb by accident. When I turned on the left signal I heard a weird "zzzt" noise coming from near the fuse box or behind the dash. I put a dual filament bulb in and the left signal still doesn't work. The green signal light on the cluster doesn't even light up. When I turn the hazards on only the right works. Again, green light on the cluster doesn't light up. Both front parking lights come on. Can anyone help? I don't want to have to bring the car to a shop but I can't risk getting pulled over for not using my signal. Thank in advance everyone.
Hey......I just checked the Bentley Service Manual, & there are 2 fuses to check in the turn signal/hazard circuit.......fuse (#23) 5 Amp & fuse (#34) 15 Amp.

johnny,

#4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Neutral Member

BombSquad91 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
All fuses are good.

My BMW misses Hondy.
My BMW never sees a shop.
My BMW grew up on Franny Lew.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Maybe you can try swapping out the flasher unit with a borrowed one to test that bit.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
Maybe you can try swapping out the flasher unit with a borrowed one to test that bit.
I agree, he can try the swap.....but he said the right side is working properly....I don't think there are right & left flasher relays....
So, I think when he said he heard something fry inside the car, that might have been the left side of the turn signal circuit in the switch itself.....

johnny,

#7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 PM
OMFG another one!?

Yeah, I rather think that noise means something got shorted and fried.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)