Turn Signal Bulb - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
just_program's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Car:
Posts: 127
Photos:
just_program is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to just_program Send a message via MSN to just_program Send a message via Yahoo to just_program
Okay, so I am going to pick up my smoked corners this afternoon and will need bulbs. I want to go with Silverstars mostly for the asthetics. I went to Sylvanias website to check into it and when I search for the bulbs for a 3 series, I get back this list for every bulb(which is cool) but it says that I need a model# 7528. If I remember correctly, I have replaced the turn signal lamp with a 1157 or 1157A.
My question is which bulb is right? or does is matter that much? The Silverstars are not available in a 7528. Does anyone know of any problems that will be associated with using the 1157 type bulb? I am almost certain that the only differences would be in wattage and on bavauto.com they even show a 1157 for a replacement bulb for the clear corners they sell. As quriky as the electrical systems are on the E36's, I dont wish to 'fry' anything. Thanks in advance for any replies.
__________________
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die"
Hunter S. Thompson

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Hunter S. Thompson
just_program is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Car:
Posts: 34
Photos:
lulul is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the GE P21/5W They are working good
lulul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Power Shifting
 
Cruzin 323is's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Carle Place, NY
Car:
Posts: 3,677
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
it doesn't matter.. just get a bulb with 2 prongs at the bottom
__________________
-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6


stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Poquoson, VA
Car:
Posts: 591
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by just_program@Jan 17 2005, 09:08 AM
Okay, so I am going to pick up my smoked corners this afternoon and will need bulbs. I want to go with Silverstars mostly for the asthetics. I went to Sylvanias website to check into it and when I search for the bulbs for a 3 series, I get back this list for every bulb(which is cool) but it says that I need a model# 7528. If I remember correctly, I have replaced the turn signal lamp with a 1157 or 1157A.
My question is which bulb is right? or does is matter that much? The Silverstars are not available in a 7528. Does anyone know of any problems that will be associated with using the 1157 type bulb? I am almost certain that the only differences would be in wattage and on bavauto.com they even show a 1157 for a replacement bulb for the clear corners they sell. As quriky as the electrical systems are on the E36's, I dont wish to 'fry' anything. Thanks in advance for any replies.
[snapback]273165[/snapback]

1157 is right, the 7528 is an optional bulb, they are 21/5 watt, dual filament bulbs. I just did the 1157s in my ride, no problems. The 1157 is a brass base and the 1157A is a long life with silver base.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member
 
Rooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Car: 2003 M5
Posts: 1,562
Photos:
Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
u need 1157 bulbs for your turn signals
__________________

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
just_program's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Car:
Posts: 127
Photos:
just_program is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to just_program Send a message via MSN to just_program Send a message via Yahoo to just_program
Thats what I thought, the 1157, but just wanted to make sure before I melt something. I have never heard of the 7528 bulb, does anyone know the difference between that bulb and the 1157(A) variant? Just curious now as to what the difference actually is. If I had to guess, its a wattage difference or just a european variant of the same bulb(1157) but with a different model number. Thanks to all who answered !!!!!!!!!


Rooz,

You mentioned in another post, concerning Silverstars, that you purchased your bulbs from a guy that sells a bright-white bulb on ebay. How are those working out for you? I am always leary of purchasing anything for my car off ebay, as I dont have background other than 'feedback' on the seller or product. The price seems to good to be true and after reading the warranty, the lifetime warranty seems to be hour limited. Just looking for feedback on those bulbs as well. For now, it will be silverstars but in the future..........


EDIT:

I replaced my headlight control dash light recently. I cant remember where the post was but someone stated that they had to go to the dealer to get the bulb. I found the correct replacement bulb at Advanced Auto parts. If it warms up a bit this week, I will write up a DIY with pics for those of you who need to replace this bulb. It was a snap to do and looks so much better now. The hardest part was getting the control unit back in the dash. From what I found though, the best way to re-install the control unit is to try and align the vent duct BEFORE you try and 'pop' the U-clip (top right side of control unit) into the dash, a little tricky but with minimal force and 'tweaking' it will go right in.
__________________
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die"
Hunter S. Thompson

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Hunter S. Thompson
just_program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
4th Gear Member
 
93 325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Connecticut
Car:
Posts: 921
Photos:
93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
I just replaced that light u speak of and I fouled something up. The retaining screw from underneath does not tighten the vent unit. I can turn and turn that screw forever and the unit will never tighten. Something fell behind the dash and that must have been the retaining plastic part for the screw to tighten into. The unit fits snug enough that it doesnt rattle or fall out, but it's one of those things you know about and bugs the hell outta me, know what i mean?..Anyways be more gentle than I was if u plan to replace that bulb. BTW it does looks alot better with the headlight controls being lit..
__________________
Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
93 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
just_program's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Car:
Posts: 127
Photos:
just_program is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to just_program Send a message via MSN to just_program Send a message via Yahoo to just_program
Quote:
I just replaced that light u speak of and I fouled something up. The retaining screw from underneath does not tighten the vent unit. I can turn and turn that screw forever and the unit will never tighten. Something fell behind the dash and that must have been the retaining plastic part for the screw to tighten into. The unit fits snug enough that it doesnt rattle or fall out, but it's one of those things you know about and bugs the hell outta me, know what i mean?..Anyways be more gentle than I was if u plan to replace that bulb. BTW it does looks alot better with the headlight controls being lit..
On my car, there was a flexible plastic piece that had a 'speedclip' on it. A metal clip in it that has a sorta screw thread in it. These clips are quite common, although the sizing is important, and you can probably get one at the local auto parts store or local car audio shop(is a common part in a audio store). Good luck.
__________________
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die"
Hunter S. Thompson

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Hunter S. Thompson
just_program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
4th Gear Member
 
93 325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Connecticut
Car:
Posts: 921
Photos:
93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
speedclip? taht is exactly what fell out im sure. Didnt know what to call it tho. I guess I'll take the whole unit off again and bring it to the parts store..thanks
__________________
Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
93 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
just_program's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Car:
Posts: 127
Photos:
just_program is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to just_program Send a message via MSN to just_program Send a message via Yahoo to just_program
Dont worry about taking the whole unit out again, until you get the speedclip. You just need the screw for sizing the speedclip to the screw thread. I would hit the local car audio store and just ask if there is anyone in the install department you can talk to. If they arent busy, the installer should have a boatload of them. We used them to secure speakers inside doors, fabricate custom door panels, mount head units and the like. I know Home Depot has them as well.
__________________
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die"
Hunter S. Thompson

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Hunter S. Thompson
just_program is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member
 
Rooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Car: 2003 M5
Posts: 1,562
Photos:
Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by just_program@Jan 17 2005, 01:39 PM
Rooz,

You mentioned in another post, concerning Silverstars, that you purchased your bulbs from a guy that sells a bright-white bulb on ebay. How are those working out for you? I am always leary of purchasing anything for my car off ebay, as I dont have background other than 'feedback' on the seller or product. The price seems to good to be true and after reading the warranty, the lifetime warranty seems to be hour limited. Just looking for feedback on those bulbs as well. For now, it will be silverstars but in the future..........

[snapback]273302[/snapback]
Still working great working great! But once my clears come in (should arrive sometime next week) I'll be putting silverstars in it bcs I found some pretty cool looking silverstar amber bulbs
__________________

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turn Signal Problem, stuck on, not blinking. jek1955 3-Series (E36) 2 10-27-2005 06:48 AM
Turn Signal Issues Help warell 3-Series (E46, E90) 4 01-20-2005 02:57 PM
Turn Signal Bulb Sizes ErikB 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 1 11-05-2004 10:18 PM
Turn signal light bulb Blackdog 3-Series (E46, E90) 14 04-05-2004 12:22 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.