BMW Werkz banner

Turboing My E36 325

6K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  FruityOne 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me some instruction as to what i would need to do to put a turbo on this engine? Ive found a few companies offering full bolt on kits that say no other modifications are needed for 5.5-6 psi but im a little sceptical, and have no idea who is the best to go through, or what modifications would be best to maximize my power and reliability of the engine.

#5 ·
Installing a turbocharger isn't quite as simple as "bolting it on". There is a fair amount of modification involved with any legit turbo kit - some of it is just moving stuff around so your new hardware can fit, little things like routing an oil return to your oil pan, and then tuning your car so it doesn't drive like crap. Like triggrhaapi said - if you don't really know what it entails, best to get someone to do at least part of the work for you.

#6 ·
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@Nov 23 2004, 12:54 AM
if you need to ask how, you should send your car to AA to get it done for you.
[snapback]235756[/snapback]​
cheers to that :cheers

#7 ·
I have enough money to do it i just dont wanna do it the wrong way. This web site has one for my engine for $2999.00

http://www.turbo-kits.com/325_turbo_kits.html

Im wondering if i shud swap in some low compression pistons or anything to make is safer for the engine, and if so who do i get them from. What other mods would also be good to make soe more power after its turboed? Oh and thanks to the guys who posted and were of absolutley NO HELP!

#8 ·
money doesnt mean you know what your doing...first off buying a turbo kit for your bmw from a place called turbo kits.com pshhhhh

and triggrhaapi is right...if you need to ask you really should just buy a kit from AA or send your car to AA.

#9 ·
Originally posted by bavarianmotorsurgeon@Nov 23 2004, 12:42 PM
I have enough money to do it i just dont wanna do it the wrong way. This web site has one for my engine for $2999.00

http://www.turbo-kits.com/325_turbo_kits.html

Im wondering if i shud swap in some low compression pistons or anything to make is safer for the engine, and if so who do i get them from. What other mods would also be good to make soe more power after its turboed? Oh and thanks to the guys who posted and were of absolutley NO HELP!
[snapback]235988[/snapback]​
Well if you have the money to do it right... here it goes... and I know this won't be a complete list this is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

You will want stronger O rings, headers, high flow cat+ larger cat back exhaust, True CAI, exhaust manifold meant for a turbo, turbo itself, oil pan, various lines, dending on your psi upgradded clutch, all new seals for engine, depending on psi new (think upgraded/low compression) cams may be needed, Wastegate, down pipe, blow off valve, intercooler, larger fuel injectors, larger Air Mass Meter, depending on psi stronger pistons,

The important thing to keep in mind is that you have to research each and every part, get detailed specs and have an extensive engineering knowledge to know how each small change in each parts spec affects everything else. For instance you can't slap just any old exhaust manifold on. Diameter, angles, material, all affect the flow of exhaust out from your engine. The turbo is going to be pushing a lot of air through. If everything does not work perfectly together you lose lots of power. It's a huge task to do yourself correctly. Good luck.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Fruityone@Nov 23 2004, 12:48 PM
money doesnt mean you know what your doing...first off buying a turbo kit for your bmw from a place called turbo kits.com pshhhhh

and triggrhaapi is right...if you need to ask you really should just buy a kit from AA or send your car to AA.
[snapback]235992[/snapback]​
I know money doesnt mean i know what im doing, that why im asking. And to write off buying a turbo from a place just cuz it has a cheesy name seems a little dumb. And of course ill reseach it first thats why i came here to see if anyone knew. If you know as much about turboing a car as you seem to think you do, why dont you share the wealth instead of just tellin me to send my car to AA.

Anyone know sumone whos done this yet and how it turned out?

#11 ·
Originally posted by bavarianmotorsurgeon+Nov 23 2004, 12:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bavarianmotorsurgeon @ Nov 23 2004, 12:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fruityone@Nov 23 2004, 12:48 PM

[snapback]235992[/snapback]​
I know money doesnt mean i know what im doing, that why im asking. And to write off buying a turbo from a place just cuz it has a cheesy name seems a little dumb. And of course ill reseach it first thats why i came here to see if anyone knew. If you know as much about turboing a car as you seem to think you do, why dont you share the wealth instead of just tellin me to send my car to AA.

Anyone know sumone whos done this yet and how it turned out?
[snapback]236030[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

well for one that turbo kits.com website has no mention of any software for your car. and two if their gonna compensate for boost by using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator their just as bad as mech tech. your car will go lean eventually and your motor will be toast. now like i said previously if you know what your doing you wont need to ask. thats why i suggest you send your car to AA.

now just for the hell of it ill type out what your going to need

first how much boost do you want to run. then find a turbo sized for your application. depending on boost you may need to lower compression either by a headgasket or lower compression pistons. your also going to need an manifold to mount the turbo too. now depending on turbo your going to need a wastegate. your also going to need a downpipe. then you need to have intake piping made from the turbo to your intake manifold and an intercooler. and if you run more boost than your MAF can handle your gonna need to convert to a map sensor. turbo timer, boost controller, gauges to monitor your equipment. stronger clutch...your also gonna need to run oil lines etc for the turbo. and the most important thing of all is tuning. doesnt matter if you have a completely built motor that can handle 50 psi but if your running crap tuning it wont matter.

i dont know if i missed anything but i think i covered everything

edit: fyi im in the process of doing this to my car

#12 ·
it is probably going to be troublesome, but i dont know.
however, here is an alteration

supercharger:

its cheaper
it gives u a tiny bit less
practically direct bolt on, no need for any of the turbo hassle

#14 ·
Trust me, if you've never either run a turbo car or turboed a car by yourself, you will hate doing it yourself. You will run into countless problems, and depending on your own level of mechanical prowess, you could be without bimmer for 6 months to a year. I have seen a man who turboed his 320i from scratch and he has yet to have it running well after over a year of installing it. I wasn't trying to be a dick, I am trying to let you know that it's hard to do.

#17 ·
bavarianmotorsurgeon- pretty much all of the parts that you would need to do it are listed in between my post and Fruityone's. A lot of the things I put in will give you more power than if you just did the minial needed for the turbo. For instance if you just put a turbo on the car and just the plumbing you need for it, the turbo will not be able to breath. Hence why the exhaust manifold, hi-flow cat with cat back exhaust or straight pips, and a true CAI are needed. All of these will increase the breathing by increasing air intake and let the car move all of the exhaust out with out bottle necking, or to use a slightly incorrect term creating "back pressure". To go with increased air you need increased fuel, hence the larger injectors, and to make use of the extra fuel and air, a different Mass air flow sensor is needed and possible different engine software (chip for pre 96 and shark for post 96).

Beyond that I would call Ireland engineering, they have a lot of experiance with E36 track/race cars. They might be able to recommend some parts and part combos that work well together. After that start calling parts companies getting detialed specs . Find the parts made with the highest quality and what dimensions they are. Then find a buddy that is a mechanical engineer. Or perhaps just go to a nearby grad school that offers that, and offer to buy one of them a case of beer to help you out. Or you could trust your own ability to find out about all of the subtle difference s the parts and different dimensions will have what effects in relation to everything else.

Sorry if I repeated myself from my previous post but I am not sure that it was read. But I do not want you to feel like there is no help for you here. It is just that most people do not have the time to custom build themselves a turbo, nor the knowledge, skill, or tools required. I know I would not be able to do it myself. But between myself and my mechanic we could do a good job with some one with a good mechanical engineering background. If there is anything else you need to know beyond this please ask. All the info you need is out there, but you are going to have to look for it and do lost of research.

#19 ·
Originally posted by Fruityone@Nov 24 2004, 01:15 PM
ill let you know how my attempt goes in a few months :devil
[snapback]236729[/snapback]​
.yeah ill really like to see if this project gets off the ground. Hopefully it does, but we get about 40 turboing my car in a few months, per month and never get any cars coming back to the forums turboed....

DAvid

#20 ·
look at my join date...then look at your join date...ive been here since the forums started...im not some newb that claims shit then leaves. ask triggrhaapi if you think im bullshitting...he has seen all my turbo parts i have ready for my car

#21 ·
With allan, him turboing his car isn't a question of whether he will or not, since he already has the turbo in his possession, it's more a matter of how much ass it will kick when he slaps that bitch on there. Right now he's manifold shopping, intercooler shopping and looking for a good dyno tuner.

#22 ·
Originally posted by bigred318+Nov 24 2004, 04:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred318 @ Nov 24 2004, 04:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Fruityone@Nov 24 2004, 01:15 PM
ill let you know how my attempt goes in a few months :devil
[snapback]236729[/snapback]​
.yeah ill really like to see if this project gets off the ground. Hopefully it does, but we get about 40 turboing my car in a few months, per month and never get any cars coming back to the forums turboed....

DAvid
[snapback]236821[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

very good point dave - I wonder if they dont come back because they are worm fodder!

#23 ·
Originally posted by Deloriant@Nov 23 2004, 12:52 AM
1. Buy a turbocharger.
2. Install it.
3. Go fast.
[snapback]235755[/snapback]​
hmmmm, if its that easy then why havent I got one...or you...or everyone else?

#24 ·
very well...looks like im gonna have to take some pics of all my current parts for the non believers...

#25 ·
Ok cool thanks a lot guys for all the help thats a lot more of the information i was looking for. Im consider everything everyone said, and hopefully ill be able to bring back some info, whether i get the race track beast i want or blow up an engine trying :banghead . Im gonna consider the supercharger and some other things, and do a little more reseach with the leads you guys gave me. Oh and good call on AA actually, very good company i wasnt aware before this.

#26 ·
hey bav. surgeon, I just want to point out a good peice of info if you go through with doing a custom setup, Active will supply you with just software for your car specifically tuned for your application. So, don't get discouraged by all of the people telling you it's too hard to accomplish. It's like any project in life you are going to do, takes time, patients, and a lot of learning. There is a lot of info out there to mislead you into going down the wrong path. Just make sure that you ask lots of questions here, on other forums, and call companies like AA or Korman. A lot of the guys are more than willing to talk you through something you need help on. even give you idea's on what to use for parts and where to get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.