turboing my 318 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
giorgiobmw is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
turboing my 318

qestion everyone i have a 318i m options 1997 what mods would i have to do to if i was to turbo it but wouldnt cause proplems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Neutral Member

basrite is on a distinguished road
Giorgiobmw,

It all depends on the budget, and what level you want to go to. What sort of power levels do you want to attain?

Very high levels means a full rebuild on the motor and lowering the compression ratio to match the extra psi of boost, plus extra fueling, extra exhaust.... You will also need to make sure the suspension and brakes will safely stop you too.

Most motors will take 2psi boost without an issue.

I'm not sure about the ecu on this model, but generally you have to incorporate a MAP instead of MAF and get the ecu to understand whats going on. This is normally done via a piggy back system. The computer is used to dealing with a flow of air, not an amount of positive air pressure to regulate the timing/fueling map.

J.

Yes... i'm a total car nut! Why else would I upgrade my mower to rev to twice its standard rpm!
#3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:45 PM
n00b

saltycdawg is on a distinguished road
Just curious if you had any luck with adding the turbo?
#4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
It's doable, but IMO not worth it because in order to make good, reliable, consistent power you would more than likely need to build the engine.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 12:31 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Why? with all due respect, sell the 318, add the proceeds to what youwere already oing to spend on a turbo, and get a 325 with two more cylinders.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
I disagree. Ive seen m42 and even m10 turbos put down 310whp on a stock block. Turbo 4's are cool, in my book.

Plan to set aside 5-12,000 for the job tho, if you arent into fabricating/ tuning yourself. If you are, I've made complete bmw turbos for under 2,000 before.

#7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster View Post
I disagree. Ive seen m42 and even m10 turbos put down 310whp on a stock block. Turbo 4's are cool, in my book.

Plan to set aside 5-12,000 for the job tho, if you arent into fabricating/ tuning yourself. If you are, I've made complete bmw turbos for under 2,000 before.
My opinions come from a experience I knew a kid with one. He ended up pushing the limits too far and blew three out of 4 rods through the bottom of his crankcase.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:19 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
plus one on turbo 4s

#9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
My opinions come from a experience I knew a kid with one. He ended up pushing the limits too far and blew three out of 4 rods through the bottom of his crankcase.
Yea.. i've seen plenty of blown, and blown (turbo/super) engines. Poor/no tuning or pushing the limits *too* far are what pops engines.. or engines that are simply old/worn out/use the wrong weight oil and have metal to metal contact.

BMW 4's can support 300whp reliably stock, same with m30 and m20 motors. bmw m50/52's can support 600whp reliably with a mls HG, m60/62 motors seem to top out at 450hp before reliability becomes an issue.

Those are the only engines I've much experience w/. The s62 and s54 seem to have respectable limits too tho I've never had friends with enough money to be able to play with those cars much.

#10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
Downing atlanta has a SC kit for the m42/44 I think it will get you up near 200hp. I know you can get these engines to put out 300hp but its going to take some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)