BMW Werkz banner

turboing my 318

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Nick_318is 
#1 ·
qestion everyone i have a 318i m options 1997 what mods would i have to do to if i was to turbo it but wouldnt cause proplems

#2 ·
Giorgiobmw,

It all depends on the budget, and what level you want to go to. What sort of power levels do you want to attain?

Very high levels means a full rebuild on the motor and lowering the compression ratio to match the extra psi of boost, plus extra fueling, extra exhaust.... You will also need to make sure the suspension and brakes will safely stop you too.

Most motors will take 2psi boost without an issue.

I'm not sure about the ecu on this model, but generally you have to incorporate a MAP instead of MAF and get the ecu to understand whats going on. This is normally done via a piggy back system. The computer is used to dealing with a flow of air, not an amount of positive air pressure to regulate the timing/fueling map.

J.

#6 ·
I disagree. Ive seen m42 and even m10 turbos put down 310whp on a stock block. Turbo 4's are cool, in my book.

Plan to set aside 5-12,000 for the job tho, if you arent into fabricating/ tuning yourself. If you are, I've made complete bmw turbos for under 2,000 before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.