turbo and superchargers - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ehlpitel is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
i got a question about superchargers and turbos, what do they work off of, is it just some device hooked up to the air-intake, cause if thats the way it is, i don't think one of those should cost so much, all it is is a crazy vacum on reverse, a particularly small one at that, and how much does turbo or s/c cost 1k+? craziness... maybe im just totally retarded, but to me, thats what seems to give good performance gains, a lot associated with air intake, various openings- if im wrong correct me, just trying to establish a good base for knowledge, if you were real handy, could you just hook ur motor up to something that sucks air to ur intake, through the special filter, and into ur engine, would that do anything, is that the definition of forced induction? i know this sounds scrrabled but i need to know what everyone's view is on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

L337E46 will become famous soon enough L337E46 will become famous soon enough
http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?...p?showtopic=587

General, Troll Warfare Center: Task Force Troll/Founder BMW FORUMS 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 CLUB/Board Member Brotherhood of Huzzah/Board Member Troll Assassin Board/Board Member W00t! Club/Campaign Director Yanosh for President/Founder L337 Flash Club/Founding Member BMW Forums V1 Club/ BMW-Forums Badger Badger Badger arrgggghhhhhh club
#3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
that doesnt really expain what they are
#4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:03 AM

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
turbochargers and superchargers are air pumps in all simplicity. superchargers use belts to spin the compressor while turbochargers use exhaust air. they force more air into the intake manifold. for instance the Top FUel dragsters use a supercharger and get 6000+hp from 500 c.i. of displacement. they are not just crazy vacuums put into reverse but high flow compressors designed to shove insane amounts of air into the intake manifold. more air+more fuel= more explosive chemical reaction

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:05 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
lwebb12 -
so what do they put the air into, is it a totally aftermarket part or is it just the air intake with some device capable of forcibly inducing and compressing unnatural amounts of air? explain this to me, i need to know, so that i can be familiar w/the principles/logistics of s/c & turbos, btw, what coast are u from webb?
#6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 07:48 AM
1st Gear Member

daniel318is is an unknown quantity at this point
yer when i frst read about them i couldnt figure them out, but yer in a way force feeding the engine with air

daniel318is - dh_o2@hotmail.com
the baby bimmer
bmw sheer driving pleasure
God drives bmw <span style='color:blue'>/</span><span style='colorurple'>/</span><span style='color:red'>/</span>M
#7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:08 AM

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by ehlpitel@Oct 14 2003, 08:45 AM
lwebb12 -
so what do they put the air into, is it a totally aftermarket part or is it just the air intake with some device capable of forcibly inducing and compressing unnatural amounts of air? explain this to me, i need to know, so that i can be familiar w/the principles/logistics of s/c & turbos, btw, what coast are u from webb?
ok the air intake is first. this is where the air is drawn into. then the turbo or supercharger. this compresses the air. it then goes into the intake manifold. from there the air is routed through the individual passageways into the cylinders via intake valves. the turbo is after the air intake. all these parts can be stock or aftermarket. the intake filter area is not what makes the large gains. the turbo and supercharger make the large gains and that is why they are pricey. i am on east coast now. moving to west coast in february

Member 150+ MPH club
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:15 AM

pic of turbocharger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo_housing.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	3909  

Member 150+ MPH club
#9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:17 AM

plumbing work for turbo setup. i omitted the intercooler in explanation because it isnt necessary though it does add HP
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turbo_plumbing.gif
Views:	145
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	3910  

Member 150+ MPH club
#10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:17 AM

this is exploded view of turbo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turbo_parts.gif
Views:	402
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	3911  

Member 150+ MPH club
#11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
so the turbo takes the filter and compresses it, it seems like the compression of the air is what gives performance gains, am i wrong? after that it goes into parts of the car that are stock should they also be replaced?, then after the compression it puts it through the intercooler which makes the air presumably colder, ie better, which is where i guess the hp comes from as well, then after the intercooler it heads into the cylinder and whatnot, but from looking at the 2nd pic, the turbo takes in the cylinder's used air? thats fuckin crazyass shit
#12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 02:23 PM

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
i highly suggest getting the book Maximum Boost by Corky Bell to learn everything you wanna know about turbochargers
#13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ehlpitel@Oct 14 2003, 03:33 PM
so the turbo takes the filter and compresses it, it seems like the compression of the air is what gives performance gains, am i wrong? after that it goes into parts of the car that are stock should they also be replaced?, then after the compression it puts it through the intercooler which makes the air presumably colder, ie better, which is where i guess the hp comes from as well, then after the intercooler it heads into the cylinder and whatnot, but from looking at the 2nd pic, the turbo takes in the cylinder's used air? thats fuckin crazyass shit
the cylinders used air as you say is what drives the turbo. but the rest is correct it compresses the filtered air. then send to intercooler if you have one. you are correct about intercooler. what you would need that isnt stock will be exhaust manifold so you can add turbo. plumbing for the turbo and needed accessories.

Member 150+ MPH club
#14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear Member

alanh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alanh
no the bigger explosion gives you more power, more air allows more fuel to burn which gives you more power... which is the same reason the intercooler helps it cool the air which makes the molecules stick closer together, which lets you take in more air...more air=more oxygen=more fuel able to be burnt=more power. the "cylinders used air" is called exhuast it has no oxygen sense this is being shot out of the cylinder at a high velocity it can thus be used to spin a fan which is connected to the oppistite part of a turbo that crams more air into the cylinder, but the exhuast is not reused...

Self-Proclaimed Genius

#15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
that seems to make sense- so the air flows through the waste gate, which in turn helps power the turbine, so if u were to have a high waste gate setting(if its adjustable) then youd be able to access more power to the turbo, easier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)