BMW Werkz banner

turbo-charger

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Autotechnica 
#1 ·
hello all, just looking into turbo-charging my 97 328i. I've been looking around and i found one, and i'm just wondering if anyone has used this company. Its from www.Turbo-kits.com.. are they good?? how was the install?? how are the results?

Thanks,
Collin

#3 ·
Not trying to put you down or anything, but just remember that BMW engines aren't exactly meant for turbo. Unlike skyline/supra/1.8T which has engine components (heads,etc) that was meant for turbo. Just make sure that your PSI isn't too much and that its professionally done. Also try AA tuning. I heard they're not that bad.

#9 ·
Not only will F/I wear out your motor faster, it's also quite expensive to make it run reliably. You'll run into a lot of problems if you're building a custom kit.

Bry

#19 ·
Originally posted by collin@Jun 24 2004, 11:12 PM
"Blueprint" my motor?? never heard of that.....explain please.

Collin
Almost all motors are mass produced. There are no tests that are run to make sure all the parts run up to spec in each motor. All the parts for all the motors are mass produced then just slapped together. There is no way you can have a perfect part that will work with every motor the same way. Thus each motor ends up with significantly less power than say BMW's prototype motor which had been blue printed. The process of blue printing is just making sure everything fits perfectly and calculating everything properly. Basically, rebuilding the motor by hand and making sure everything is a tight fit, rather than just slapping a bunch of mass produced parts together. After blue printing the motor, you should end up with more power, in the end it's worth it as the modifications you install will increase the power even more significantly.

Bry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.