Trunk Lock Not Opening With Key On 96 328 Conv. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MunirShaikh is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 1996 328i convertible. My trunk lock was working fine until yesterday. When I put the key in and turned it counter-clockwise like I always do to unlock the trunk before pressing in on the round lock, it wouldn't open. I can hear some noise like it's trying to catch on the lock but not the usual louder sound that accompanies the unlocking normally.

I hope I am just doing something wrong or somehow the trunk has been locked with some switch somewhere, but that it is not a broken lock.

Has anyone experienced this? Did I accidently set the trunk to not open with the key I have (I don't believe it is a valet key). This is a pre-owned vehicle and it was working fine up til now. Is there a manual release somewhere?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:14 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
yOU MAY NEED TO GET YOUR ACTUATORS REPLACED!
IF YOU HAVE A CENTRAL LOCKING MECHANISM (AND YOU SHOULD...B'CUZ I GOT IT) UNLOCK YOUR PASSENGER SIDE DOOR WITH A KEY AND LOCK IT AGAIN AND UNLOCK IT AND YOUR TRUNK SHOULD OPEN WITH THE KEY.....

#3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the suggestion Delmarco. I tried that and the trunk remains locked. I can directly lock/unlock the 2 car doors fine with the key.

In the trunk lock, I used to be able to lock/unlock the car doors as well, but they do not respond to my turning the key in the trunk lock any longer.

I understand I might have to get the trunk lock mechanism looked and replaced. Meanwhile, is there any "manual" way to pop the trunk?

By the way, how would a service technician/mechanic get inside the trunk in order to replace the actuator if that is the problem?
#4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:49 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
One thing to try...
Since your car is a convertible if the bootlid is up at all or if the car thinks it is it will prohibit the trunk from opening. Try running the top and restowing the canvas or try it either fully open or fully closed and if it still doesnt work then have a friend try pushing downward on the bootlid on the passenger side as u work the key in the trunk lock. If this doesnt work then there is a problem with the lok cylinder or the rod has fallen off of the lock or the latch. What a technician would be forced to do is to remove the license plate and drill a small hole and manually unlatch the trunk by ulling on the rod. Then they would cap the hole with a body plug and reinstall the license plate so that it would be hidden.

DT

DT

#5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 09:11 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hey Dirty Tool,
That did the trick! I pressed down on the covertible-top deck
on the passenger side, then tried the trunk and it opened. (My convertible top needs re-timing and I had previously disengaged the motor mechanism for the top under the seat.)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 09:17 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
hey awesome! glad I could help

DT

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)