BMW Werkz banner

Transmisson warning light

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Lord Vader 
#1 ·
I have a 1996 328I automatic transmission older drives good but sometimes when I turn it off the transmission wraning light will come on and then the transmission is in safe mode. I can turn the car off and wait a few seconds turn it back on and it will go off and drive fine. what do you think it is any ideas.

#3 ·
life time transmission

my transmission warning light comes on I want to change the fluid and possibly the filter to see if it corrects the problem light comes on I turn the car off wait ten seconds turn it back on it resets and operated fine. what about eh life time fluid I do have 200,000 miles on this vehicle and think it would not hurt to change the fluid please advise

#4 ·
Well you have an OBD-II car so you could take it to an auto parts store or mechanic and have the system scanned for trouble codes. That would give you an idea of if the car believes theirs a fault in the system.

I'm an advocate of changing the trannsmission fluid. Everyone gets confused by BMW's statement of "lifetime fluid". However that statement is meant to be the lifetime of the trannsmission. So if the tranny lasts 100,00 kim then that was its lifetime. However, ALL synthetic fluids break down over time. And because of this they should be changed. Some people report better shifts after having done it so their can be a benifit.

PelicanParts.com has a transmission filter and gasket kit available. All you need is the Trannsmission fluid. For that most people recommend Redline fluid.

#5 ·
Yes I agree with you on the fluid and yes i think I will take it to get the error code read to determine if it is something more serious. I am just concened about the type of fluid to replace it with. It does not seam serious at all just eh sensors or computer telling me to do some type of service

Thank you

#7 ·
The transmission goes into limp mode to protect itself when a fault is detected. You should go hav the OBD system scanned for trouble codes. The codes will give you a code idea of what is wrong, and we can help you better from their.

#8 ·
I did check the code with my reader and there were more than a few; Fuel Trim, Cam Position Sensor, MAF, TPS. So I thought I'd put the old MAF back in for a reference point. Now I still get the Fuel Trim, Cam Position Sensor, but the tranny doesn't fail, nor the MAF, TPS. Seems odd, No? The OBD system seems to be so intertwined with all of the feedback sources one can hardly ascertain the root cause. Quite the quandary!

#9 ·
If your getting CPS and TPS codes i would clean the sensor with contact cleaner and see if that clears the code. If not, replace the sensor.

With the car running, unplug the MAF. If the idle gets better, then the MAF is faulty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.