transmission issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 07:47 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ProjektMayhem is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
transmission issues

alright, well, if anyone has been keeping up, i got my e36 1995 bmw 325is for a very low price for the sole reason that the transmission definitely has something wrong with it. well, the time is drawing near that i need to start thinking about what needs to be done to get my baby moving.

i've been told that the torque converter is junk, but yet another person told me that the clutch is fried. here's what the car is doing and perhaps someone might tell me the real issue with the car...

the car will move in reverse, but not forwards. the car starts up fine, idles fine, revs fine. as far as i can tell the automatic tranny shifts fine, in both directions (not just reverse). there are no noises within the transmission when it's put into drive and the pedal is pressed. there's simply no movement (this seems to tell me clutch, but i could be wrong).

no matter what, i intend on doing this right. i have a daily driver that's not the bimmer, so it's not like an emergency. however, i do not want to spend the $600 that i've been quoted JUST TO LOOK at the car, not fix it. look at it. for $600, i'd better get some "lip service" while i'm waiting while the car's getting looked at.

anyways, any ideas, guys?

Projekt Mayhem: 1995 BMW 325is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:13 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
im a bit confused here, first you said it will move in reverse but not forwards, but than you said the auto tran shifts fine in both directions just not reverse...

which way is the car not moving properly? with an auto tranny, i doubt its the torque converter , usually it would affect both directions of movement, same with the clutch.. let me know which way first than we can go from there.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 04:36 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektMayhem
alright, well, if anyone has been keeping up, i got my e36 1995 bmw 325is for a very low price for the sole reason that the transmission definitely has something wrong with it. well, the time is drawing near that i need to start thinking about what needs to be done to get my baby moving.

i've been told that the torque converter is junk, but yet another person told me that the clutch is fried. here's what the car is doing and perhaps someone might tell me the real issue with the car...

the car will move in reverse, but not forwards. the car starts up fine, idles fine, revs fine. as far as i can tell the automatic tranny shifts fine, in both directions (not just reverse). there are no noises within the transmission when it's put into drive and the pedal is pressed. there's simply no movement (this seems to tell me clutch, but i could be wrong).

no matter what, i intend on doing this right. i have a daily driver that's not the bimmer, so it's not like an emergency. however, i do not want to spend the $600 that i've been quoted JUST TO LOOK at the car, not fix it. look at it. for $600, i'd better get some "lip service" while i'm waiting while the car's getting looked at.

With waht you paid for you car, I would just go ahead and put in a new tranny. I prefer manual, but Auto might even be cheaper. Chnage out the whole thing -- who cares what is wrong, honestly.

#4 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 05:40 AM
n00b

korsion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to korsion
Quote:

The torque convertor will only cause slippage but the car will still move.

When you say clutch theres not like one clutch theres a series of bands and clutches which embrace and once they are gone they have to be replaced which is big spondoolas.

If i was you i wouldnt even bother getting it looked from what you have said i can almost guarantee its fried, someone will probably tell you that a tranny fluid change may bring it back to life but it wont, rip it out and find another or do a manual conversion.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:28 AM
n00b

ProjektMayhem is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
well, when i say that the transmission shifts into both drive and reverse, what i mean is that the actual selector (on the interior of the car) will go to both drive and reverse. the car WILL backup, but WILL NOT move forward. i asked for a demonstration when i bought it, and i got a reverse demonstration, but merely the sounds of revving when it was put into drive.

i've sourced out both a manual tranny and a replacement auto tranny for it, but i'm not sure i want to spend the time hanging a new clutch pedal or anything like that. i'd almost just prefer to drop out the old automatic and pop a new one in. plus, i think the girlfriend would prefer that anyways because she prefers an auto to a stick (if i let her even drive it, lol).

thanks for the input, guys, i appreciate it.

Projekt Mayhem: 1995 BMW 325is
#6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 03:53 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
good luck , keep us updated on the progress.

#7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 05:36 PM
n00b

Tom Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up get another tranny

Quote:

Find a tranny at Autoparts search.com,they come in various conditions warrenties availible.find someone to R&R and your good to go
#8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:04 AM
n00b

korsion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to korsion
I wouldnt touch a second hand tranny also for the price it would cost to get one R&R you could do a manual conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)