BMW Werkz banner

transmission?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  okczy21 
#1 ·
when im on the highway and punch it my transmission revvs up and down

#3 ·
Originally posted by okczy21@Aug 31 2004, 01:21 PM
when im on the highway and punch it my transmission revvs up and down
Ugh... AT or manual. can you be more specific in describing the problem? is your engine revving up and down or is is it the tranny? More details = better answers= less irrelevant ones

(incidentally I promise not to bash any response to this post because who the hell knows what is going on from the minimal information provided)
:D

#5 ·
Whatever it is, that sounds like a slipping cluch which is the most common diagnosis of this symptom, but it could be lots of things since you didn't give us enough information about what's going on.

If you have a manual transmission: A slipping clutch is probably what you have. You press the gas, and the engine revvs high, but you arn't accelerating like you normally would. This is a bad thing and the clutch needs to be replaced otherwise it will just get worse untill you reach the point where the car WONT accelerate anymore. Clutches wear out, just like brake pads, rotors, and tires do.

Provide us with more info: Is your car automatic or manual? Does this occur when you are keeping a steady speed or just when you accelerate and put extra force on the drivetrain? Does this happen in any specific gear or does it happen to all of them?

#6 ·
its an auto, if i drive normal everything is cool, lets say i gas it real hard, it will rev up to 4000 then drop to like 2500 repeatedly until i let off the gas, but if i start driving normal again its cool, this doesnt happen everytime i punch it probably like 50 percent of the time

#7 ·
I'm guessing either damaged control unit, torn up amd malfunctioning torque converter, or the transmission's poping out of gear or something.

If it's really bad or it gets worse, I'd probably bite the bullet and take it to a dealer and get some codes scanned & checked out, or at least call them and speak to a mechanic about the problem unless someone else here has an opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.