transmission? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2004, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
okczy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
when im on the highway and punch it my transmission revvs up and down
okczy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
like its stallin or something, what is wrong with it?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
nycbmw325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by okczy21@Aug 31 2004, 01:21 PM
when im on the highway and punch it my transmission revvs up and down
Ugh... AT or manual. can you be more specific in describing the problem? is your engine revving up and down or is is it the tranny? More details = better answers= less irrelevant ones

(incidentally I promise not to bash any response to this post because who the hell knows what is going on from the minimal information provided)
nycbmw325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: '00 M-B CLK430 Cabriolet
Photos:
BMWBeauty416 is a name known to allBMWBeauty416 is a name known to allBMWBeauty416 is a name known to allBMWBeauty416 is a name known to allBMWBeauty416 is a name known to allBMWBeauty416 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to BMWBeauty416 Send a message via MSN to BMWBeauty416 Send a message via Yahoo to BMWBeauty416
does it like sometimes pick up when you push the petal and sometimes when you floor it do nothing? (might have an idea if so)

~*Teg*~
Old 08-31-2004, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
Whatever it is, that sounds like a slipping cluch which is the most common diagnosis of this symptom, but it could be lots of things since you didn't give us enough information about what's going on.

If you have a manual transmission: A slipping clutch is probably what you have. You press the gas, and the engine revvs high, but you arn't accelerating like you normally would. This is a bad thing and the clutch needs to be replaced otherwise it will just get worse untill you reach the point where the car WONT accelerate anymore. Clutches wear out, just like brake pads, rotors, and tires do.

Provide us with more info: Is your car automatic or manual? Does this occur when you are keeping a steady speed or just when you accelerate and put extra force on the drivetrain? Does this happen in any specific gear or does it happen to all of them?

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
its an auto, if i drive normal everything is cool, lets say i gas it real hard, it will rev up to 4000 then drop to like 2500 repeatedly until i let off the gas, but if i start driving normal again its cool, this doesnt happen everytime i punch it probably like 50 percent of the time
Old 08-31-2004, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
I'm guessing either damaged control unit, torn up amd malfunctioning torque converter, or the transmission's poping out of gear or something.

If it's really bad or it gets worse, I'd probably bite the bullet and take it to a dealer and get some codes scanned & checked out, or at least call them and speak to a mechanic about the problem unless someone else here has an opinion.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
does the car still accelerate when it drops down to 2500 rpms from 4000?
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
it will accel up to 4k then drop back down 2500 then accel back up then back down until i just let off the gas totally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)