BMW Werkz banner

Tranny might be going...

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BlantonG13 
#1 ·
So I was at the soccer game in Philly the other night, my dad was there. I drank and my mom didn't want me driving home. So my dad starts driving and he's like "Damn, what happened to your transmission? It seems like its slipping real bad. You aren't getting all the power you should be..."

So I'm a little worried. It makes sense that he would notice a difference because this is the first time he has driven the car in a couple months, so it wouldn't be familiar to him.

My question is, what the hell is does a slipping tranny sound like? That could explain the weird rattle I have been hearing forever (if you have seen my older posts from like a couple months ago, you know that I mentioned it). I looked under the car all over for the rattle and I deducted that it sounded like it was coming from the tranny...

Guess I need to have it looked at...? :dunno :cry

#4 ·
5 speed tranny's dont slip. the grind, they rattle, and they vibrate when they are going bad but they dont slip. clutches slip. Unfortunately, BMW uses a damped tach so you cant really see the engine's small reaction, but if you take your car to anyone with some experience driving a manual they will tell you in 15 seconds if your clutch is slipping. Or try this: get the car going in first get it up to about 4000 RPM... then slightly back off the throttle for a second then floor it... watch the tach.. if the tach spikes above 4000 RPM and then comes back down slowly your clutch is slipping. This hard to describe but easy to do if you know what you are looking for

#5 ·
The noise is not coming from the wheels. I can pretty much tell it is coming right from the middle of the car. I checked for loose heat sheilds, exhaust brackets, bolts, etc. It sounds like it is directly coming from the tranny. The clutch definitely doesn't seem to bite and it is definitely more gradual. This is my first manual car, but I definitely haven't beaten the hell out of it, IMHO anyway...maybe that rattle is a couple broken clutch teeth rattling around...I am gonna get it checked out and see what the pros say...NYC, I will try the tach thing, it does make sense for me...thanks a lot for the info and ideas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.