BMW Werkz banner

Tranny Auto To Manual

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  BeachBunny 
#1 ·
Ok my auto tranny is screwing around. it is leaking and its not from the gasket, looks like it is from the bellhousing.
I want to put a manual tranny into my car. Before anyone comments like its cheaper to buy a manual car blah blah blah, well no its not in Australia, trying to sell a 318i with an auto trucked tranny will be near impossible.
Would anyone be able to help me with a list of parts that are required. I will be purchasing most of these from used wreckers to make it that little cheaper.

Also we can use this post as a guideline for all the people, peoples that think its an easy job and costs next to nothing

I know its going to be a nice hole in the pocket, but after being quoted for a tranny rebuild, the price of changing tranny will be worth it. I plan to take this car off the road for awhile and do most of it myself, so it will be all documented with pictures and problems which i run into.

So if anyone that is experienced in this field is able to write me up a list of parts which are required so i can get to work ordering them

PARTS REQUIRED
* TRANSMISSION
* TRANSMISSION MOUNTS
* MAIN SEAL
* 3RD PEDAL
* LINKAGE
* REAR DIFFERENTIAL
* GEAR STICK
* CLUTCH WAT CLUTCH
* DRIVE SHAFT?????

FEEL FREE TO KEEP REPLYING SO I CAN UPDATE

BTW 2450 UUC SK WATS THAT IN $US OR $AU

See less See more
#5 ·
Originally posted by mmclaren@Mar 8 2005, 07:52 PM
Ok my auto tranny is screwing around. it is leaking and its not from the gasket, looks like it is from the bellhousing.
I want to put a manual tranny into my car. Before anyone comments like its cheaper to buy a manual car blah blah blah, well no its not in Australia, trying to sell a 318i with an auto trucked tranny will be near impossible.
Would anyone be able to help me with a list of parts that are required. I will be purchasing most of these from used wreckers to make it that little cheaper.

Also we can use this post as a guideline for all the people, peoples that think its an easy job and costs next to nothing

I know its going to be a nice hole in the pocket, but after being quoted for a tranny rebuild, the price of changing tranny will be worth it. I plan to take this car off the road for awhile and do most of it myself, so it will be all documented with pictures and problems which i run into.

BTW 2450 UUC SK WATS THAT IN $US OR $AU
[snapback]306844[/snapback]​
It could be tons of stuff if it's leaking from the bellhousing... what if it's something cheap and easy to fix? I'm not talking about the $$ cuz you already mentioned that... just the time. Why change the tranny before you sell it? How much is the car worth now? Anyway, here's something that may help you:
http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0307sr_transmission/

#10 ·
I would like you'd have a wheelie car if you don't swap out the differential too.
(thats probably gonna be your biggest expense and offset any $$$$ savings you are using to justify the swap)

I bet you;ll find yourself doing 5K to run @ highway speeds.

Why don't you look into what the problem really is with the auto first? A reputable tranmission shop will usually tell ya if the problem requires a full rebuild or not.

#11 ·
Check out used differentials.

Look up Vines Auto on the net and give them a call, yes, they are in america but the used (open, non lsd) diffs can be bought for some $100-200 USD or somewhere around there... Ahereas a new one would be much more than $1,000USD. You only need to replace the diff, no axles or any of that crap, it's a rather modual component of the car. The 3 series diffs are all the same.
There's 3 kinds. M3 LSD which is the best, regular auto transmission open diff, and regular manual transmission open diff. The difference between the 2nd two is the gearing ratio. The M3 one is obviously going to be expensive, but much better. An open diff will be perfectly fine and will be a world cheeper and easier to find.

UCC SSK is: UUC Motorworks Short Shift Kit
(If you are gonna put in a manual, you might as well put in a good shifting system... You also might as well put in the stiffer transmission mounts so you wont be victim of the non-driver money-shifting problem when corngering hard, under load and you shift)

#13 ·
I think i may have found a problem, need verification

Will a bmw transmission for e36 fit in all e36. I have an m43 which is a 318i that was sold to japan and australia and a few other countries i think, not in US. So will an m42 or m44 transmission fit it?

#14 ·
Originally posted by mmclaren@Mar 10 2005, 07:12 PM
I think i may have found a problem, need verification

Will a bmw transmission for e36 fit in all e36. I have an m43 which is a 318i that was sold to japan and australia and a few other countries i think, not in US. So will an m42 or m44 transmission fit it?
[snapback]308502[/snapback]​

Not that I know of, but I can't find the year you have anywhere? Are you going to try to just swap an automatic for a manual transmission? That's supposed to be way harder... and you may have to (or it may be much more cost effective) do a bit of work on one that isn't in mint condition... How much profit are you hoping to make with this when you sell your car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.