Traction Control/ABS light on - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kait_e36 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Traction Control/ABS light on

Both the traction control and the ABS light turned on. Could I just need new wheel sensors? I have no issues with the car since it turned on. When I bought the car it surged a tiny bit when you use the brakes. But it did that before the lights turned on...any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM
n00b

loandoc1 is on a distinguished road
Hi Kait, Glen here from California. Have same problem with 96 328i. ABS and asc+t lights come on and stay on. Went to 2 German auto repair places and they put on the scope. Bothe said faulty brake switch. Easy fix:$10 on ebay for new OE switch. Replaced it: go to Youtube and look up replacing brake switch. Mechanic friend did it for (I'm too old) and lights came on again. Hope this helps
#3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loandoc1 View Post
Hi Kait, Glen here from California. Have same problem with 96 328i. ABS and asc+t lights come on and stay on. Went to 2 German auto repair places and they put on the scope. Bothe said faulty brake switch. Easy fix:$10 on ebay for new OE switch. Replaced it: go to Youtube and look up replacing brake switch. Mechanic friend did it for (I'm too old) and lights came on again. Hope this helps
Hey Glen! Thanks! Since I have yet to look into it this is a step into the right direction lol. Everything's back to normal once you replaced the switch? A friend of mine took a wild guess and said that my sensors were bad? But honestly, I've just been driving it the way it is and haven't put much thought into it. I'll definitely look into that brake switch. Much cheaper than the sensors i'm guessing
#4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM
n00b

Angry Brake switch

Hi Kait! No, the new switch didn't fix it. The second mechanic says the new switch I installed is faulty and has agreed to put HIS new switch in because the scope he uses is never wrong. Well, I said fine but if the error code and lights come on again, no charge. We're doing this on Friday. I'll let you know how it turns out. Another possibility is a bad abs fuse. There are two in the fuse box (driver's side under hood next to firewall). I am going to have those checked if mechanic's new brake switch is not the problem. I'll keep you posted.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Okay thanks! Definitely keep me posted. I'll check the fuses tonight and let you know how that works for me Good luck with your car!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Same thing happened to my car and my friends M3. It was the ABS relay on mine that was bad, and the ASC relay on his that was bad. We swapped in new relay's and both lights went away. Try that first.

You can get em at Pick N Pull for cheap.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Last edited by Lord Vader; 09-12-2013 at 09:33 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys!
#8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 PM
n00b

Hi Kait! Well as suspected, second brake switch installed did not fix problem. Now need to decide what next. The shop wants to start tracing wires to 1) relays then 2) pump then 3) to wheel sensors. My 328 is the first year for the OBD system but too old to scan for which specific wheel sensor is possibly bad. I think you are in the same situation. Wish I had more advise for you. Good luck!
#9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 PM
4DoorWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loandoc1 View Post
Hi Kait! Well as suspected, second brake switch installed did not fix problem. Now need to decide what next. The shop wants to start tracing wires to 1) relays then 2) pump then 3) to wheel sensors. My 328 is the first year for the OBD system but too old to scan for which specific wheel sensor is possibly bad. I think you are in the same situation. Wish I had more advise for you. Good luck!
If you have both the ASC and ABS lights illuminated on the dashboard, before you do anything else, find two new relays and try that first.

Both lights were on on my dash and swapping in a new ABS relay fixed both immediatley.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes that was going to be my plan!
#11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 10:46 AM
n00b

Thank you Lord Vader! Quick question: in the fuse box there are TWO relays marked abs and none ASC. Which do I change? Also I notice on cool mornings their lighting up is delayed for several miles vs starting and driving a few blocks when its warm outside. Heat sensative components?
#12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 04:52 PM
4DoorWhore

ABS is a red relay. Should say "ABS" in white lettering. ASC is supposed to be the orange relay right next to the ABS relay.

If you look at the picture in this link, the second one is gray. In mine it was orange, but some models are different. Either one may be malfunctioning so you will have to replace/exchange them one at a time, but start with the red one because thats what failed on mine, and my friends E36

BMW E36 Fuse Box / Relay Layout | BMW E36 Blog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)