BMW Werkz banner

Tokico Springs/shocks

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cruzin 323is 
#1 ·
does any 1 have these?? i was thinking about puttin them in... its in the range of how much i want to lower my car... about 1.25 inchs.... anyways, is there a write up anywhere... or has any1 used these before... any information would be helpful.. thanks alot..

#2 ·
They are a half way desent brand.. I wouldnt recomind them.. I've heard lots of goods... and lots of bads about them... mainly because they are a weak spring.. I'd get something like H&R sports or something that is much much better...

Good Luck,

Les

#3 ·
Sorry Alpine, but I'm going to have to disagree and say that they are pure junk. They are worse than stock dampers and I wouldn't trust them for a single 1 km lap of any track much less on the street. 2 years ago my friend had that suspension setup on his '94 325, brand new (5 days old to be exact). The dampers blew after only 2 laps at Shannonville (local track here in Ontario). He replaced the 1 front and 1 rear shock that blew, 2 weeks later, blew them again on the street, this time both rear pairs. These so called "performance" shocks are not at all in anyway performance enhancing. They are what we call in the performance suspension industry "ricer shocks".

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but they really are that terrible. I use to sell them at our shop, but we don't anymore because we found out the hard way how poorly made and designed they were.

Get the Bilsteins :)

Bry

#4 ·
Tokico's are known to fail, previous owner installed these on my e30 and I blew out the seal on the left front damper, I'd go with Bilstein or Koni depending on which spring you go with, I run Bilstein Sports with H&R sport springs, perfect combo, I've had the setup for several years with no problems, knock on wood.

#5 ·
Tokico struts and shocks are quite good (HD's not so good, illuminas good) on Japanese applications (had them on an integra and crx). But, I would not use them on the heavier German cars. I've heard of them failing on Bimmers.
I have the Koni sports and love them, and Bilsteins on my volvo wagon--no problems. Konis are better tho in my experience. H&R is the best for springs, unless you're doing Dinan. I love my Dinan stage 1 setup.

#6 ·
They are crap. A friend of mine in drove a 93 MR2 Turbo during three auto-x seasons. The first season he had Tokico struts, he blew struts/strut at 3 different times during the season. Next season he switched to koni adjustables and used them for 2 seasons. They are crappy struts. Don't waste your moeny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.