Tire size - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
325i_family is on a distinguished road
Tire size

The stock tire size for my car is 205/60R15. Could I put 2 205/65R15 tires on and leave the other two tires. The reason is I can get a good deal on 2 205/65R15 tires. Thanks
325i_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
They would be about 8/10ths of an inch taller, probably not a problem.
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
If you are trying to pinch pennies on 15" tires maybe a BMW isn't the right car for you. I'm sorry if I sound like dick but I just hate it when people nickle and dime their car to death trying to cut corners. Also running a tire that is almost an inch taller compaired to 2 other tires on the car could cause issues with the ABS system and if you run these tires on the rear your speedo and odo will not be correct.

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
325i_family is on a distinguished road
I care about my car and even more about myself. I would never do anything unsafe to my car, thats why I asked the forum. If I only cared about saving money I would have gone straight to the tire store and bought the tires. So thanks anyways
325i_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
Although I would stagger width, wider in the back I would not stagger height and not because of safety issues... I just like to rotate my tires often and not just front to back. I run 205/65/15's in the winter but all four. If you did choose to buy them any way I do not see a major cause for worry and it would not adversely affect your traction control or abs systems. And just as a side note I would put the tires in the back... give it that hot rod look (joke)

Just my 2 cents canadian...(worth more and more everyday)

1979 320is RiP
1994 318is Sold
1995 325is Sold
1995 530i Sold
2004 M3
e36surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36surge
Although I would stagger width, wider in the back I would not stagger height and not because of safety issues... I just like to rotate my tires often and not just front to back. I run 205/65/15's in the winter but all four. If you did choose to buy them any way I do not see a major cause for worry and it would not adversely affect your traction control or abs systems. And just as a side note I would put the tires in the back... give it that hot rod look (joke)

Just my 2 cents canadian...(worth more and more everyday)
Even though the height difference isn't that much anything different than about 1/4" in height will usually trip the ABS light because that wheel or wheels will be turning at a different rate than the other wheels on the car.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
is anybody else but me concerned that this guy is trying to downgrade to 15" tires with no mention of replacement wheels?

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
triggrhaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
okay fine... FINE... forget the tires... FINE... FINNNNNNNNNNNE safety shmafety... ^^What he said.... forget the tires... the BMW ABS gods have spoken... LOL ABS sucks any way...

considering I'm a family man my wife will not let me buy replacement wheels.... she'd sooner have me buy new beddings... the injustice of it all...

Last edited by e36surge; 04-03-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond reputetriggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
ABS does not suck. I would like to make that clear. ABS>not ABS.

also, if you stagger anything, you can't rotate tires. That's just a given.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
I think it was quite clear that I was making a joke about the ABS. Yes, true, true... stagger = no rotate REPEAT NO CAN ROTATEM DHEM RUBBER DOGHNUTS.

My profuse apologies for upsetting any of the puritans
Old 04-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Retired administrator

Car:
Photos:
that's not true. You can rotate rubber doughnuts all you want, just not the tires.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrhaapi
is anybody else but me concerned that this guy is trying to downgrade to 15" tires with no mention of replacement wheels?
Some E36's came with 15's.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
15" was the standard on E36's unless you had the sport package. there are boo coo E36's out there with 15' tires. If you can get a deal on 205/65 tires, why not just buy 4 of them?
1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
tomctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
yes 15" on standard stockers... but did they come with honey glazed or chocolate frosted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)