BMW Werkz banner

Tint Problem

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RIBEMR26 
#1 ·
I had my car (e36 black bmw 1997 328i) tinted about a couple months ago and I have this problem I can't seem to figure out. The tint on the back rear window (above my brake light and all along the bottom) is jagged and looks like there's bubbles but there is not. I talked to the guy who tinted the car (it is a professional place) and he told me that it does that on some cars that have factory tint around the border of the window and when you go over it with tint then you sometimes get problems like I have. Now does ANYONE know how I can fix this problem up? I heard there are "tint markers" you can buy but I don't know if they will do any good (and if it did I don't know why the guy who tinted my car says there's nothing I can do). I've also heard of people cutting the lower portion of the tint off but I would really not like to do this. Is there anyway I can get a clean looking tint on the bottom of my rear window so I can get rid of this jaggedness that looks really awful?? PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS/ANSWERS! THANKS!

:nope :nope :nope

#3 ·
at the bottom of the rear window (and at the top) there's a portion of the window that is factory tinted -- when u tint the whole window the part of the tint that goes over the factory tint becomes jagged and "bubbly" looking..

sorry thats the best way I can explain it - i dont have any pics :cry

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS!

#4 ·
If you are talking about the edge of the window where there are those little black dots...you can wrap an old credit card with a paper towel and rub it on the affected area. For small individual bubbles that can't be "pushed out" you can stab the bubble gently with a razor blade and do the same thing I mentioned above. Be careful the paper towel doesn't rip, or you can end up wrecking your tint.

Hope this helps. :dunno

#5 ·
Seems that your tint shop is not as professional as you think.
If this was a potential problem, he should have told you ahead of time.
I call what he said as "after-the-fact bull shit".

Is there a warranty with your install? did you get it in writing?
What's the labor warranty?

If this happens to other people, how come I haven't seen it posted before on the forum.

If your tint shop doesn't fix it, then you may have to sue him in small claims court.
His labor or the material is defective.

Good luck.

#6 ·
uhh, you guys are talking about the dot matrix. on mine, it looks shitty at the bottom too. you cant do anything about it, the dot matrix, or window boarder dots get too wide. bmw's dot matrix sucks because its too thick.

all that i know is that you cant really fix it.

#8 ·
I have a rag top bimmer, but I had the same problem in my old Passat...I don't know if the "dot Matrix" on a bimmer is different, but I fixed mine just like I said before...with a cc and a paper towel....just rub one....ummm...it out. :blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.