BMW Werkz banner

Tint Or No Tint?

4K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  94BMW325i 
#1 ·
Got a white IS and all my windows except the windshield and driver side front window (someone decided to break into my car) are tinted, but the tint has gone purple, and even the rear has turned into two different tones of purple, don't ask me how that happened. So I've been thinking of either redoing the tint or just stripping it all off and leaving it clean. Just wanted to hear some opinions before I went ahead with it.

#2 ·
Definetly tint, look at my car

Here is a thread with a good amount of pics of my car, the pics are old, don't show my current mods but you can see the tint:

http://www.328i.org/viewtopic.php?t=134

#3 ·
Definitely replace the old tint and get new tint. It not only help keep out sunlight in the hot weather, but it also greatly improves the cars image.
Also Rooz, where did you get your kit to change the emblems' color from?

#4 ·
#6 ·
Tint, and here's why.
1) It looks dead sexy.
2) It keeps you cooler by keeping some of the sun out.
3) If it's cooler in your car, the AC won't have to work as hard.
Now, what I plan on doing is getting my windows tinted to the max allowable in NC, which is 35%. I will also make sure that I get that 3M stuff so that I can use my phone in the car. Also get a lifetime warranty on the job. Any reputable shop should offer that. It might be a little more expensive, but it will save you from your current situation happening again.

#10 ·
Was just down to the nearest tint shop and they quoted me $200, that seems reasonable to me. But also they said there's a lot of different colors of tint, but the ones I liked were either just regular black and some "graphite" color it was like a smoked out blue, can't really explain, does anyone have that one?

#17 ·
I have 20%, I really urge you to look at this one. I feel it is a good compromise between look and function. I can still see very easily at night thru the sides and fronts. While you can tell the tint is there, there isn't much of a disruption in function. You can normally get away with 20% on the front windows -- 5% is out of the question. 5% looks amazing, but it really is too dark. It is very hard to see out of and cops will notice it much more.

#18 ·
i am thinking of trying to find a place to tint my windows the light blue shade that my mirrors are already tinted to. i think that'd look really nice and hopefully keep some of the sunlight out. right now the sun is burning my left arm up! haha

i definitely think you should get yours fixed up. white cars require tinted windows.

#19 ·
Seeign as how you live in LA you need to stay above 20% on the front windows. i think a car looks a bit ridiculous when it has uneven tint. I have many friends wiht 5%, and mmany with 20%+. I found 20% works the best out of sheer practicality. 5% looks the best no doubt, but at night it is RIDICULOUS to look back. 20% does dim the image but i'm sure you'll manage. Anythign higher looks OK but I dont think it loos as good. Some states require 35%+, thankfully you're in cali.

Darkest you can go fro front windows is 20%
Rear windows is 5%
Front windshield tint....a strip at the top.

Another reason for doing tint is a safety reason. If youa re involved ina accident and your windshield shatters, tint generally holds the glass together instead of possibly injuring the occupants. This is why some people TINT their front windshield. But when I say this I mean they are putting a 100% CLEAR layer of tint over the front windshield, just for the safety purpose.

Good Luck!

#21 ·
Originally posted by Ljk619@Aug 3 2005, 03:08 AM
That does look nice Rooz, but a tad too dark me thinks. What % do you have? I'll probably get a little bit higher.
[snapback]367030[/snapback]​

I have 35% all around (None on windshield) And I wish I would have gone 20% all around. Here the state limit is 35%, my tint is as dark as it can go and still be legal.

#22 ·
Was never a fan of uneven tints...looks stupid. Everytime I see a car with 15% on the rear sides, and 35% on the immediate sides, I laugh at them because it's a joke.

I've got 15% all around and quite frankly, I never have trouble seeing outside my car. Maybe you guys need glasses =P

#23 ·
Well tomorrow morning got a tint guy coming around to do mine $100 all around except the windshield. I'll probably be doing something along the lines of 20 - 30%, I know everyones been saying get 20% all around, but I'll have to see how it is, reason being I drive a lot at night in places that don't have a lot of lighting and I have to see the road. So hopefully I can get ahold of my friends digital camera and post pics after it's done. (Yea I'm still behind as far as cameras go, I don't have my own digital camera yet...)

#25 ·
I have tinted mine and really like it.. 50% on drivers -pass win and 20% on the back ones. (older image below)

By the way Deloriant what wax do you use? Your red car looks incredible..
:wave

#26 ·
$100? I hope he's usin some high quality tint. The reason your last tint turned purple was beaucase it was probably some cheapo shit.

Also if you want to sitll maintain peak reception on your AM radio you'll need some sort of specific metalllic tint that doesnt interfere with your AM radio. But who listens to AM that often anyways?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.