Timing Chain Replacement Intervals - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1998 BMW 318i, 5 speed, 139000 mile
Photos:
Dragoon is on a distinguished road
Timing Chain Replacement Intervals

Hey, new BMW owner here. Here is what I have. 1998 BMW 318i with 139000 miles on it. 4 cyl. engine, (M44), 1.9L with a 5 speed tranny behind it.

Here is my question: Is there a timing chain interval recommended for these engines? Same question for the water pump?

I appreciate the service manual download made available on this website. I read through the timing chain section and did not notice a replacement interval concerning the timing chain. But, I may have missed it if it is there.

I also appreciate any guidance any of you experts may provide a BMW rookie concerning this subject.

Thanks!

Dragoon
Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

The timing chain is a lifetime part and should never need replacement. The timing chain tensioner can wear out and need replacement but it's uncommon. As for the water pump they were made with plastic impellers which over time became brittle and failed which caused overheating. If you still have the original water pump or don't k ow of it has ever been changed I recommend you replace it. As well I recommend replacement of the thermostat housing as it is plastic as well. A full cooling system overhaul costs about $500 but is not always required.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
Thanks for the welcome and I truly appreciate the information concerning timing chains. I will plan to replace the water pump and thermostat housing this summer. My first task with this vehicle is to replace the brake pads and wear sensors. Based on what I have researched on that job getting it up in the air will be the most difficult portion of the job.

Thanks again.

Dragoon
Old 04-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
It's only difficult because of the jack points. If you can't afford a good floor jack you can use the factory jack to lift the car up and put Jackstands under each jack point. I've done it before. It obviously takes longer but is just as effective.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Old 04-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Captain... Savvy ?

Car: BMW E38 728i 1996 Met Black
Photos:
Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Just to add... All the above only applies if the engine has been serviced meticulously

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
Jack Dabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
LV,

I agree with the floor jack comment and I do have access to a good one. My problem is my jack stands are made for much larger and taller vehicles. Thus, I may need to buy some short ones made for much lighter vehicles. And, that's OK, it's a good problem.

For now, I got it on the road today and enjoyed driving it to work and back. Everything seems to be just fine other than the dash light patiently waiting for me to replace the brake pads.

Captain Jack,

I cannot know just how meticulously the engine on this car has been maintained. I can say it hums along like a sewing machine with impressive power. It is my hope to get a high quality synthetic engine oil designed for european cars installed in this little car this summer. That, again I hope, will give the timing chain and everything else a much longer life. I have reason to believe that the previous owner had not been giving it the attention it could have. He had two other vehicles and it could be he was strapped for funds to maintain all three properly. I can't say the 318i was neglected or abused but ignored may more accurate. Time will tell.

I want it to be a dependable daily driver for at least two or more years and therefore will do what I can to allow it to do that job for me.

Thanks for the responses from both of you.

Dragoon.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
Properly maintained these cars will last a long time. I've had mine since May 2005. As for oil certain oils are approved by BMW as LL01 oils. Castrol Syntec 5w30 (now called Edge), Mobile 1 0w40 are two of the most popular approved oils. I use Mobile 1 OW40 and have had no issues. I'm considering switching to 5w40 as a lot of Canadian guys run it. Amsoil and Royal Purple are commonly used even though not on the approved list.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Photos:
LV,

Well, you've prompted another question concerning oil in BMW's. The owners manual does not indicate a oil change interval such as 3000 miles or whatever. If it does I missed it. Oil manufacturers wil advise changing oil in accordance with the engine manufacturers recommendations.

So what is BMW's recommended engine oil change interval?

I got the 5W30 for cold weather or 15W40 for warmer weather. As I indicated in my last post I plan to convert over to a synthetic. It will be Amsoil. They have a 5W30 specifically designed to be used in european cars in all temperature ranges and that is what I will install. If memory serves me correctly it is to be changed at or around every 10K. But it would be nice to know what oil change interval BMW recommends.

Another question: Do you know how fine, or the micron size of, the filtration on BMW's oil filters?

Don't want to wear out my welcome but if you, or anyone else, knows off the top of your/their head the answers to these two questions I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks again LV!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
Don't worry mate, your not gonna wear out your welcome any time soon!

BMW oil change interval is 5,000 miles. However oil has gotten better over time so depending on the oil you use, you can run longer intervals. With Amsoil you can run 12,000 miles between changes. Here is the interval list from Bimmerzone: BMW Inspection I & II: Bimmerzone.com

For most filters, the medium does not have a fixed pore size. The filter is generally a tangled mat of fibers with each path through the filter having a different effective pore size. As the filter is used, the effective pore size decreases. Most are about 25 microns.
Here is a link to the Mobile 1 filters: http://www.mobil.com/Shared-Files-LC...gn_amer_en.pdf

This lists the micron efficency of the Mann and Meyele BMW filters:Mann or Mahle Filter efficiency - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)