BMW Werkz banner

Tilt Steering

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  rwall23 
#1 ·
I just recently wen to replace some burned out bulbs in my dash cluster, and i noticed that it wouldnt come out, and i went to tilt my steering wheel down, and there was no lever, i looked in the maual and it shows a lever, i was wondering if all of them are made with tilt steering or if it was an option, because the space for the lever is there, there just isnt one??

#5 ·
Mine does too. I have a 95 318ic, You should have a black handle on the bottom of the steering column that will lower the wheel enough to get the cluster out. Not sure how far along you are, but i had to slide a blade along the crack to separate the cluster from my dash once the screws were out.

#7 ·
yeah way to go BMW and not even put one on my ///M3....what a bunch of crap, I want to lower my wheel....I wonder if they have tilt though, sort of half ass pre installed.....just no lever....I'm taking the lower dash of tonight to find out. there might be a place for a lever. you just have to move it somehow, if so I'll be welding one somewhere for sure. I never thought about it, I just figured mine was broke off...hmmmm

#9 ·
I think you have to unplug your steerwheel...if it does not tilt
what i've heard is that it is simple...in theory
1. unplug the battery to prevent the airbag and SRS system from deploying in your face.
2. find screws under the wheel trunk and above (these screws are torx head and the face outwards away from you and towards the front of the car)
3. unscrew them....and wiggle the wheel off...it may be hard, but sstill tug gently.

4. once done find screws at the top of the dash gauage and unscrew them, then carefully work the guage out

#15 ·
haha thats stupid, earlier models have it but later ones don't. mine has it, made in 11/1992.

and not having it does make it a worse driving experience, as everyone is different height and likes to sit in their seat differently so likes to adjust the steering wheel to their own preference. thats like saying non-adjustable seats wouldn't have an impact on the driving experience.

#17 ·
Thanks for the picture. Now I'm not sure if my lever is broken or what. but I do see that spot and it's has an exposed metal right underneath on where the lever is located. hmmmmm I think I should dig in or do you think it's a waste of time. Do you think the VIN# will indicate if the car has a tilt steering? Thanks.

#18 ·
The vin # would probably tell you somewhere deep in the bmw files which are probably long gone. But what we find out with the vin # number, i highly doubt it.

just try pulling down on that metal thing! or take a picture so i can see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.