A thunk in my trunk - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
A thunk in my trunk

Can anyone help me with this? I have a clunking noise coming from my trunk, which I suspect is due to a loose arm that closes the trunk (right side).
I just had my shocks and rear brakes done, so it's not that.
Anyone else have this problem? I cant quite pinpoint it.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 12:48 PM
n00b

TurboB3 is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem and found it was my rear differential. Check that out cause it might be that
#3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 09:46 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Rear shock mounts? Torn rear subframe? What year E36 do you have?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 11:03 PM
LYFE SUCK5

Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future Ivan has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Ivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor
Can anyone help me with this? I have a clunking noise coming from my trunk, which I suspect is due to a loose arm that closes the trunk (right side).
I just had my shocks and rear brakes done, so it's not that.
Anyone else have this problem? I cant quite pinpoint it.
Thanks.
bump anyone off in the past few days? maybe theyre still alive. go pop them a few times and see if the noise stops...
#5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 04:33 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
97 318 convertible

and I just had the shocks done. Where's the differential?
I'm oping its something simple, like the arm that closes the trunk. It appears loose.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
The differential is the metal box in the middle of the rear axle. The driveshaft goes into it and two half-shafts go out of it to the wheels.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
is this bad to drive around on.. because i have a feeling mine is the same way....

but i hear a noise as if somthing is banging around in my trunk, when nothing really is... and only hear the noise when accelerating froma stopsign...

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
the thunk in your trunk is your junk.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 04:33 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
If you just had the shocks done, I'd check to make sure the dang things are tightened properly! Just thowin it out there

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 AM
Neutral Member

BMerViXeN is on a distinguished road
I noticed a similar noise coming from the rear right side of my car, it only appears for a few minutes when I start driving it initially and then it stops, and starts clunking again when I pull into my driveway. It is slowly driving me nuts, sounds like a loose screw or something. Shaking the car doesn't help. I'm going to check the differential, but if that's not it then I'll be back for some of your advice. Now if it's a differential, is it something that can be tightened etc myself or do I need a "pro" help?
#11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

One thing to check, I suppose, is whether the battery is properly seated in its compartment. Otherwise it might move around and thunk on the sides of the compartment under acceleration and deceleration.

Lindsay fan club member.
#12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
update on thunk, and another question

Here's the whole story:
1) Had the shocks and brakes done by a mom and pop guy (cause for alarm)
2) He heard the thunk, said it was unrelated to the work (it was there before I brought it in), and suggested something in trunk (no cause for alarm). He didn't want to fix because he spent 2 days on my car, and thinks BMWs are tough to work on because of the special tools needed. I provided the parts, courtesy of BAVauto, so I saved there. He also fixed the right rear wheel bearing.
3) I bounced the car up and down on the quarterpanels - no noise
4) I bounced the car up and down with my hands on the trunk - noise

Here's my dilemma: I just spent $1300 on this repair, and want to know if I can just live with this noise (trunk arm?) for awhile, or should I be worried about a safety issue (differential?) that I should bring to the stealership for a top-quality fix?

Thanks to any who can help
#13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 01:56 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

The trunk arm should be a fairly straightforward DIY. Fix it and you will know whether the thunking was just that or something else.

Lindsay fan club member.
#14 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 04:55 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
a bushing

The outcome was that it was a bushing on the right side that connects to the frame. I still have to order teh part. Have had good luck with bavauto.com
For those who have the same problem, get that checked out. I guess it's hard to find because it's "up" under the frame. A passenger in my car told me he could feel the bumps under his right arm, when he put the arm on the rest.
Thanks to all, hopefully this info can help somebody, too.
#15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 01:20 AM
n00b

toymachine595 is on a distinguished road
Now is it a constant thunking or every now and then? Cause i had a problem as well and everytime i hit a small bump i would hear this loud ass clunk. come to find out the passenger side trailing arm bushing was worn out.so every time i hit a bump i heard the arm hit my frame. problem is you cant just replace the bushing so i gotta buy the whole arm so hopefully its not gonna cost me an arm and a leg
good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)