Thud when changin gear - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bmw325ise is on a distinguished road
Thud when changin gear

Hi Guys,

Hi have what seems to be the infamous thud noise when changing into 1st , 2nd and reverse. The loud thud comes from the rear of the car.

I have read many posts on forums on the internet that suggest the following:

1) Guibo, Flex Disc or Prop shaft Coupling or whatever you want to call it maybe worn, in my case it was worn, I had it replaced, still the noise persists.
2) Others have suggested to change the transmission fluid, I have done this as well and the noise is still there.
3) One of the most drastic outcomes of this maybe the fact that the rear sub frame has been ripped away from the carÖ I checked this, had a stealer check this and we both came to the same conclusion, nothing wrong with the sub frame.
4) I have also changed the Differential fluid.

Does anybody know what this actually could be? I have tested and checked all of obvious and now beginning to run out of ideas, Iím sure this is affecting the performance of the car.

If I hold my foot on the clutch for say 5-10 seconds before engaging the gears, all is well, no thud, this suggests to me a clutch issue, but I am no mechanic. Iím looking to the proís of this forum to give me some help, any help would be much appreciated.

Thank-you

Andy

BMW 325i SE 1991 (E36)
bmw325ise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
Check all the mounts engine, gearbox, diff, suspension and the centre diff Iíve never heard a clutch knock
bad man working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
I believe new tranny mounts could help, probably wont cure it but the thud is due to slack in the driveline and the tranny mounts are notorious for being weakend and allowing the transmission to twist under load. (which = a money shift if you shift and the transmission is still torquin)
My rear subframe is loose, but not torn. Since I have an automatic with a weak engine, and a late model chassis it's not so much of a concern with me, but eventually it will wiggle itself to pieces.

Put the E-brake on HAAARD, chock the wheels like a motherfucker, and get someone you trust with your life to put the car in a gear that it makes the thud (preferably 1st gear!) and feather the clutch or whatever you do that makes it thud. You go behind it and look under the car and watch the rear driveline when the friend puts it in gear.
Better yet would be to get a webcam, some USB extension cables, and duct tape a webcam under the rear of the car, looking at the subframe. Be sure to use software that RECORDS so you arn't driving around watchin it! This is what I did and mine rotates a whole lot up and down (on the axis of the rear wheels instead of the driveaxle) according to the torque being applied to it... That disturbed the shit out of me but I can't see anything BROKEN about it other than the bushings are worn to hell or some bolt is loose.....

I should post some videos.

Last edited by bitcore; 10-30-2005 at 09:34 AM.
bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
bitcore ur subframe is lose? is that fixable, i hear crazy thumping sounds from my rear latley, check diff bolt, wasnt it, im afraid of it being the subframe, i hope i can still add the reenforcements before its too late...
Old 11-01-2005, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
Something back there is loose as hell... I know it.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Have you checked the jack next to the spare?... or the battery?

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
General Chaos

Car: ///M3,Corolla
Photos:
SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
bitcore have ur frame checked out...

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)