BMW Werkz banner

For those who were interested in my diff. swap

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  wcre34 
#1 ·
As it turns out...

BTW if you didnt remember i got a 328 diff to swap into my 318

anyway - the axle bolts (torx) for the 318 diff are of smaller diameter but same size torx head. so to use the 318 axles would require machining to make the 328 torxs fit. now i am faced with just swaping axles and diff.s.

on another note - the 318 driveshaft bolts directly to the 328 diff. which is nice, and the axles off the 328 are the same length as the axles off the 318 so no spacers are needed.

i will keep you guys posted after everything is fitted, i decided not to swap the entire rear sub. frame because i didnt want to change brake lines (especially those e-brake bastards). overall the diff removal was a piece of cake, ill do a complete write up when its all said and done

---Nate

#4 ·
yea the diff has 3 large bolts that hold it to the sub. frame.

if you didnt want to mess with trying to swap axles you would have to make the holes in the 318 axles a lil bigger

im just swapin axles cause it is gonna save time and plus i already have the axles from the 328

#6 ·
the gearing ratio is higher on the larger engine models, i believe they are the same size dimensionally

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.