For Those Who Drive 100+ - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:55 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
(Thread Starter)
I don't know if this is an immediate issue or not, and I'm not even sure this is an issue, but I have no idea what this is...
My car makes a high pitched "hoooo" noise whenever it goes 100mph; just noticed it this morning. I've gone 100+ before, without noticing the noise, but this morning I noticed that (Seemed to come from the middle AC vent) it would only make that noise once I hit 100+mph. at 99 it would disappear. It's the noise of wind through a metal tube; not a whine of a belt or something; but it's coming from inside the car?!? Or maybe the venting system... It's definitely not coming from the engine. All my windows were closed (and it wasn't a whistling anyway) - kind of like a clarinet or oboe in it's upper registers.
Anyone got any ideas? Will this get worse? Is this the end? (cue sobbing)

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
It's to let you know that if you get cought, that ticket cannot be removed from your liscence even if you are not convicted of it. Ok maybe not in your state....

In NC, if you are going over 90 MPH and get pulled over for it, the speed will stay on your permanent record. State law. Ask me how I know.

I'm still a habitiual speeder I can't help it, damn lol.

Since I'm assuming you are on the track when you do this I suggest you check underneith the car for any abnormal shit that isn't suppose to be there or is bent out of shape.
Where does it sound like it's coming from? through the air conditioning ducts?

#3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:14 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
(Thread Starter)
As far as a brief inspection goes (damn rain), nothing appears out of place in the engine compartment. Having no lift, I can't look under the car, but the last time I checked (less than a month ago), I observed that everything was in perfect order except for my exhaust heat shields (which are loose), which are scheduled to be shivved into place and/or welded the next time I get an oil change. That could be the source of the noise...
Nothing is obstructing the air flow of the car in the front. And yes, the noise seems to be coming from that center vent; it's not too loud - only noticeable over normal ride noise.
And... er... yes, I ... uh... go 100+ on the track only... er...

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#4 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Bumping this topic...

It's been awhile since I went this fast, as I was on balding tires, and needed new ones badly. Well, I got them this Sunday, and I tested them out - not that I could do anything about it really if they failed.

Anywho, I looked under my car, and nothing is out of place (control arm bushings a bit worn). I had my exhaust heat shields removed, and so my car really doesn't make any weird noises (except for some interior squeaks).

HOWEVER, I am still having this specific problem! At about 100 miles per hour, my car will begin to make a low pitched whistle (whistle as low and breathy as you can, and that's probably the exact noise). With the help of my girlfriend, we pinpointed the noise, from the interior (as if someone's going to check the outside at 100mph), and it seems to be coming in from the middle AC vent.

What could this be? Possible fixes? Is this permanent? Does it inhibit performance somehow? This is not related to the retarded 89 octane gas I put in my car yesterday.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ganjacyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ganjacyde Send a message via MSN to ganjacyde
i'd say its probably just air because you're going so damn fast...

<embed src="http://www.svcountryclub.com/upload/e36m42.swf" width="420" height="140" background="none" menu="false">
#6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tried either closing the vent or shutting the outside air off? (you know how you can have the outside air coming through the vents, right? that one.)

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 07:42 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Actually, I've meant to try that, but I haven't been able to - I don't drive 100 mph every day. Well... okay. Most days. Usually when I have the vents on a closed "air circuit" the radio's on. I meant to hit 100 today with the vent closed, but I couldn't find enough room on the way to work.
I've gone 100+ in my 318 many times, and it didn't make that noise.
Anyway, I'll check the vents tomorrow again and see what I come up with.
That's what I was thinking it was as well, but if I've got the AC on (recirculate) it still makes the noise. I haven't tried recirculating it with the AC off though.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:21 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by 4evrwyntr@Jun 15 2005, 05:42 PM
Actually, I've meant to try that, but I haven't been able to - I don't drive 100 mph every day. Well... okay. Most days. Usually when I have the vents on a closed "air circuit" the radio's on. I meant to hit 100 today with the vent closed, but I couldn't find enough room on the way to work.
I've gone 100+ in my 318 many times, and it didn't make that noise.
Anyway, I'll check the vents tomorrow again and see what I come up with.
That's what I was thinking it was as well, but if I've got the AC on (recirculate) it still makes the noise. I haven't tried recirculating it with the AC off though.
[snapback]353852[/snapback]
Just clost the vents and see what happens. Not on recirculate, but turn the turny things under the vents to get them to shut off. Turn off the A/C and fan (redundant I know). Then see if it still makes the noise.

and... er... you drive to work on a track? What a lucky guy.... cuz surely it's not during a normal commute on the interstate that this happens....
#9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
I get the same whistle on my daily commute on the racetrack on the way to work in my e30. Its the air inlet vents by your windshield wipers. They are meant to draw in fresh air, and when going at high/certain speeds they hit the wind just so and suddenly your cabin has a soft whistle. Can't say that closing the vents helps but it does quiet it down a hair if it bothers you.

I rarely notice it though, since all my windows are open and the sunroof is open when I'm enjoying 100+ on the racetrack on the way to work every morning. You would too if you drove through a couple mountain roads through a place called Paradice Valley, on your way to work everyday. =P

#10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 12:31 AM
5th Gear Member

Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
I notice that sound when I am at about 110-120.
#11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

theironm0nk is an unknown quantity at this point
Driving over 100 is can be fun especially with all the windows and sun roof open. Unless you have a cop card or neckless or badge be carefull. Depending on the state prep for crap from a PO or to go over 130 if in NY. Patrol cars can't go any faster than 130. Also a PO is fully responsible for any deaths injuries or property damage if on hot pursuit over 85 in a residential area.
#12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 01:11 AM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
I notice the wind whistling as well when I'm on the freeway... but I usually only go 75-80mph. I thought it was just my car. Good.
#13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:31 AM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
ehh I got alot of air leaking in through the door seal and blowing on my arm through the door handle.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 02:18 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by nukeduster+Jun 15 2005, 11:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nukeduster @ Jun 15 2005, 11:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I get the same whistle on my daily commute on the racetrack on the way to work in my e30. Its the air inlet vents by your windshield wipers. They are meant to draw in fresh air, and when going at high/certain speeds they hit the wind just so and suddenly your cabin has a soft whistle. Can't say that closing the vents helps but it does quiet it down a hair if it bothers you.
I rarely notice it though, since all my windows are open and the sunroof is open when I'm enjoying 100+ on the racetrack on the way to work every morning. You would too if you drove through a couple mountain roads through a place called Paradice Valley, on your way to work everyday. =P
[snapback]353970[/snapback]
[/b]

Okay, that makes me feel just a bit better then. I checked EVERYTHING this morning with regards to AC, recirculation, and vent closure, and I could muffle the noise, but not stop it completely. If it really is just those air inlets (which would describe exactly where the sound is coming from anyway), then tough luck I guess. Went 115 today I can't help it if traffic is nonexistant/real light and I'm driving a BMW. At least I have my lights on (so people see me better), don't drive like an jerk (never tailgate, 2-3 second rule, check blindspots, only cut in front if both headlights visible in middle rear view mirror), and always use turn signals and my safety belt. I may drive fast - but I'm leagues ahead with regards to safety when it comes to a lot of people I know. Too bad it's not curvy

<!--QuoteBegin-triggrhaapi
@Jun 16 2005, 01:31 AM
ehh I got alot of air leaking in through the door seal and blowing on my arm through the door handle.
[snapback]354020[/snapback]
[/quote]
That from the accident? That would annoy the hell out of me.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)