BMW Werkz banner

Thinking about buying a bmw

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a late 90's model 525is. I currently drive a 02 SVT Focus. So I'm just wondering if this would be a good trade performance wise. I couldnt see how many miles were on the bimmer, so I'm not sure what condition it's in. I'm just wondering how it will be handling and quickness wise. I couldnt really find any specs online, and I checked out the sticky on common problems for it. Anyway, think it would be a good trade, or should I keep the Focus?

#2 ·
kylelikewhoa said:
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a late 90's model 525is. I currently drive a 02 SVT Focus. So I'm just wondering if this would be a good trade performance wise. I couldnt see how many miles were on the bimmer, so I'm not sure what condition it's in. I'm just wondering how it will be handling and quickness wise. I couldnt really find any specs online, and I checked out the sticky on common problems for it. Anyway, think it would be a good trade, or should I keep the Focus?

325is, not 525is, my bad.

#3 ·
As far as acceleration goes, you'd be getting 189 hp and a 0-60 time of around 7.8 secs. I don't think this is faster than the Focus SVT, but that can be fixed. ;) And it's a bimmer, so barring any problems, it's going to handle like one. That's where you'll feel the difference when you test drive it.
Good luck!:)

#4 ·
It really depends on the year. But as far as handling, I've never driven a SVT focus, but I have driven a regular focus and while the steering response was quick and the car felt nimble the feel was a little fake to me. What you will notice with the BMW is that you should have about the same quickness in the steering but a different feel. Also you should have more grip and of course, RWD. I do not think that you will be disappointed in the handling in any way. I'm not sure if the SVT has upgraded suspension from the factory, I would image that it would, so there might not be as big of a difference in handling and feel as with the regular focue. Just know that the maintiance is going to be more on the BMW than you are used to on the focus. From what I understand they are fairly trouble free cars... several years at least.

#6 ·
Well from my research, I've found that my SVT will handle just as well, and is a bit quicker than the 325 I looked at. Also, the 325's interior was in really rough shape, and it was tan, and I hate tan. So I decided to just save up a bit more cash, and find a used m3 instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.