BMW Werkz banner

Thinking about buying a 328i

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Cary328is 
#1 ·
Hey Guys:

Thinking about buying a Beemer, BUT I hear they are very unreliable cars. I have Infiniti / Nissan right now, and for the past 122,000 miles, the most I have had to do under the hood is change spark plugs, oil, and fluids, it has been very reliable, would a beemer have similiar reliability, or no? Thanks!

--Garrett

#3 ·
If you're looking for the same reliability as Nissan, Toyota, etc... Then you're looking at the wrong car. If you want looks, feel, performance and pleasure of driving then it is BMW.

No offnce, but I would never trade my Bimmer for a Nissan.

This is my second car, and my first one was also a bimmer. I drove a lot of cars, but there is nothing like a feel when you sit and drive in BMW.

Decide for yourself.

`96 328is.

#4 ·
My immediate family owns four Nissan Maxima's and a Nissan 300ZX TT. I mention this to let you know, I am familiar with Nissan cars.

I wouldnt trade my Bimmer for any of them (even my father's 2005 Maxima). German cars are overengineered meaning they do and have things many other cars do not. This provides for more things to break and more maintenance to be performed. This is not opinion but fact.

For this, you are rewarded with suspension, brakes, powertrain, and a gearbox that give one a driving experience that is more enjoyable than most. I find myself inventing reasons to leave the house and usually find myself miles from home wondering why I left in the first place. :p

You get what you pay for and three Bimmers later, I am convinced that these cars are worth every penny. :thumbs

#5 ·
Unreliable? My car has been rediculously RELIABLE since I've had it.
That, and yes, I do drive just to drive.

#6 ·
They will need some TLC from time to time sometimes sooner than a nissan or toyota. but you can also get it to last over 200,000 and upwards of 400,000 miles if you take care of it....

has anyone seen the top gear where they destroy a porche?
Jermey says something along the lines of "because it is German it is hune from solid Granite".... this stands for most german cars....

#7 ·
I paid 6500 for my 95 325i and I now have over 8 extra gs into this car. The most expensive problem that I had was my auto tranny, but I knew it had issues in buying the car so that's my problem. And when I bought the car, I was planning on making it a project car and doing a tranny and motor swap at the time so no biggie. I had 1400 issue this past winter however. This 1400 should have only been a 120 issue. I ended up replacing plugs, maf, and all sorts of other things because at times my car would flood for no reason and woudn't start for 2 or 3 days. The problem all along ended up being I was using the wrong type of oil (my mechanics fault) and I needed a $20 fuel pump relay. Once I got the right info from bmw in december, my car hasn't had an issue since. I've got more money into my steroe alone that I do repairs. BMW's are great cars and I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER get anything else. Go test drive one and I guarantee you'll drive anything else again, that's what happened to me. And like everyone said, just maintain it and you're golden, I'm pushing 150k now and still running like a champ. When I bought it last july it only had 125k miles on it. These car rock.

In fact, I'm going to be buying 2 more bmw's this year. One for me, another project car. Getting a 90 m3 and getting a 97 328 for my gf.

#8 ·
Sounds great guys!

I have the money for one, as soon as I sell my current car, and there are quite a few in my area, but now comes the real challange: Getting my mother off her high horse. You see guys, I am 16. My mother is being extreamly selfish about this right now, pretty much she doesn't want me to have a Bimmer. She says she doesn't want to get sued if I have a wreck, that's what I carry insurance I tell her, but she doesn't listen to me at all. So then I say that Infiniti is a luxury car, so wouldn't the same thing apply for my current car, and then she comes up with random BS. Basically I think it boils down to the fact she doesn't want to be stuck driving a mid-90's minivan and have her 16 year old son raise enough money on his own, and have enough money on his own to buy a BMW. Yes, I do pay for insurance and gas, and the car, and all maintance by myself. :-/

--Garrett

#10 ·
More power to you for all that. Tell your mom to deal with it. Bimmers are every bit as reliable as any Honda, Infinity, or Nissan ever will be. For granted they are all great makes of cars, but I have driven so many and nothing beats a BMW. Even the slow ones such as my 318i are so much fun just because they handle so well. Get a manual and the experience is just that much more worth it. Nobody is going to get sued because thats the whole idea behind liability insurance. If you get a BMW, chances are you will baby it and not want to ever hurt it so you will be that much more careful with it. Just go buy one-its your money, your gas, your insurance, she can't tell you otherwise. What about your pops? what does he say about the ordeal? I know my dad was the one who told me to get a BMW :driving anyway, goodluck with the thing, I hope you end up witha Bimmer.

Just don't knock the minivan cause its the best soccer mom vehicle ever!!!! hahaha :rock

#11 ·
Exact same story, my mom wanted me to get a POS my dad wanted me to get a BMW. Gee, we can only guess who won that battle. :p

And I and my car are happily driving along ... get a bmw, you'll regret it if you don't.

#12 ·
Man, I want a Bimmer so bad, she left me a note, saying if I did a couple things, she would let me buy the car that I want....so I am hoping that if I get that stuff done, I can get a Bimmer. I found a 97 328i with 90k and a 5-Spd locally for $6,400...I want it sooooooo bad.

--Garrett

#13 ·
:clap2

Congrats on wearing her down, but 6400 for a 97 with lo miles is a little worrysome. That is way below book value. Now that you are all excited, don't make a mistake and buy a lemon, because some bmw drivers beat the snot out of their cars.

Read the board about all the crap that you need to know about e36's. These guys won't steer you wrong!

Good luck.

O, to be 16 again. :devil

#14 ·
Totally agree with schilke. I looked for six months prior to making my last purchase. While these cars are great, if they are not maintained, they will be lots of trouble. With regards to blue book, I paid too much for my car. But what they don't alot for was the fact that it was a one owner (purchased from him not a dealer) and he had maintenance from day 1. That is worth some extra $$$ in my book.

#17 ·
Originally posted by AMDGOD@Jun 4 2004, 12:56 PM
It might be a little low, I'm not sure, you never know until you auctually go and see it, BUT, I ought not waste my time until my car sells....anyone want a Infiniti? ;)
--Garrett
You're not wasting your time looking for bimmers now. As has been stated; take your time. I was shopping and looking for about 3 months, and I don't consider that alot of time. There is the "right place; right time" to consider. i.e. this 97 328i might be in perfect shape. But be sceptical and do your homework. Get the VIN from it, and check it at carfax.com Try to find all the owners of it (hard to do most times) and learn absolutely everything you can about that specific car.

Also as mentioned, there's some great FAQ in these forums and the guys here really know their BMWs.

And :clap2 for working/saving your money for the purchase. I would personally feel awkward if my son had a nicer car than me (don't know why...) but if he worked hard and earned the cash to get the car, I'd help him pick it out and even buy the odd tank of gas for him. Of course, thats just a pipe dream in my household.... Anyways.... hope you get a great BMW...

:driving

#18 ·
Bimmers are definitely reliable...they were built to handle the speeds of the autobahn, the various weather in Germany, and have a LONG history of excellent quality. Would top executives and managers buy bimmers if they were not reliable? How many Bimmers have you heard "got stolen" or "broke down on the side of a road" compared to other vehicles?

#19 ·
Similar story here. I had sold my 95 Honda Accord EX VTEC with 160k. The car was extremely reliable. I now have the 328i. There is a big difference in the "feel" of the car, its handling, and the way it is engineered.

The only problem I have is a day or two after a fuel fillup, I get the "Check Engine" light. When I read the code, it's always the same thing, "EVAP, SMALL LEAK DETECTED." Probably gas cap related.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.